Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

Advertisement:
Hello All,

My Father has:
Authritus
Diabetes
Glaucoma
and High Blood Pressure

Before pursuing a recommendation and getting some MMJ relief he is concerned and wonders what might happen if his medical provider (Kaiser) turns up THC during the many routine blood test he is given.

Is TCH detected during these types of routine blood tests? If not he will pursue getting a recommendation.

Thank you,
--Shoki

#2 koudekerk

koudekerk

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 749 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

It must be tested for, specifically. Not routine, as far as I know.

#3 stan nolan

stan nolan

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

I use k/p healthcare and have had bloodwork for gallstones and they did not test for streetdrugs only function and they will give you an itemised printout of enzymes proteins bloodcell counts  etc,:thumb: free just ask.  my plan just went wayyyyyyyyyyy up hope yours didnt.

#4 Shoki

Shoki

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thank you all very much. I will let him know. Last time he was there they took 5 vials of blood from him. I figured they were testing him for everything under the sun.

--Shoki

#5 samson1

samson1

MAKE RICE, NOT ICE!!!!!!

• Patients
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

Most likely not they must run specific blood panel for that. Tell pops not to worry.

#6 halosmoker420

halosmoker420

WT Advanced Member

• Collectives
  • 709 posts
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

"Routine" bloodwork is a broad phrase in the Medical world. For example a person on coumadin "routine" may be diffrent then a healthy person having a regular health screen. Normally THC and other substances are detected when a "chem panel 7 or 5" is ran. Also, it is worthwhile stating that PATIENT DOCTOR CONFIDENTIALITY still reigns supreme - even with the feds. They can not, and must not disclose what is recorded in the patient record voluntarily - if not accompanied by a subpeona. Unless, of coure law enforcement has checked the patient in through Emergency room on a DUI or some other charge. The blood panel screen would then be requested by the officer, and would be disclosed at that point - and possibly reported to the DMV. Youir father has nothing to worry about. AT ALL. Self medicating is extremely common - The best treatment for that is  A PHYSICIAN RECOMMENDATION FOR CANNIBIS. - HAVE YOUR FATHER SEE A PHYSICIAN FOR A RECOMMENDATION. IF Kaiser will not recommend cannibis - have him see a doctor used to treating ailments naturally and has a history of treating disease, ailments, or injury with cannibis. - Peace out - H

#7 kanaloa

kanaloa

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

A Doctor at Kaiser actually reccomended MMJ for my brother.  But my brother doesn't smoke.  Whenever I talk to my doctor I tell him I do smoke MMJ.  I really don't think there is a good reason to hide things from your doctor.  Unless of course you are in some sort of trouble.  Just my 2 cents.

#8 Uncle Z

Uncle Z

Probationary WT-

• Patients
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

Shoki said:

Hello All,

Is TCH detected during these types of routine blood tests? If not he will pursue getting a recommendation.

Thank you,
--Shoki

Like CQ said, it is a specific test not run on typical blood tests, CBC, ChemPanels etc.

In addition, it is a different and much more expen$ive test than those that check for pharmaceuticals also.

zb1

#9 The Urban Spaceman

The Urban Spaceman

Budtender Deluxe

• Banned
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

Shoki said:

Hello All,

My Father has:
Authritus
Diabetes
Glaucoma
and High Blood Pressure

Before pursuing a recommendation and getting some MMJ relief he is concerned and wonders what might happen if his medical provider (Kaiser) turns up THC during the many routine blood test he is given.

Thank you,
--Shoki

the only way it can show up is if the docs run something called a TOX SCREEN.... as long as they don't run that all is good!

Posted Image  

#10 Vikingfury

Vikingfury

metal pipes are a crime!

• Patients
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

I have Kaiser... and I've had massive blood work done for a reconstructive Spine surgery. They only test for what they are looking for. I've had a full spectrum of tests so I wouldn't die during the 6 hour surgery. But ... no problems here regarding that issue. I think they have to test exactly for that and they wouldn't be doing that ... you pops is paying the premiums they care about that.

Shoki said:

Hello All,

My Father has:
Authritus
Diabetes
Glaucoma
and High Blood Pressure

Thank you,
--Shoki

I get high with a little help from my friends

#11 Shoki

Shoki

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info. After hearing how some MMJ patients were being denied organ transplant and being denied opiates for pain because of MMJ use I was worried that medical centers were using it as an excuse to refuse services.

Thank you,
--Shoki

#12 Guest_Platypus_*

Guest_Platypus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Spacey mentioned a TOX screen.

It's possible to get one if you go into the ER. It's common for ER docs to do tox screens on patients that they have suspicions that drug use caused the problem or you are unable to communicate in a coherent way with the Doc. Or as Halo said: Arrest for suspicion of DUI or PI.

It's also part of pre or post employment policies. By YOUR PERMISSION.

BUT it's not an issue.

Your Doctor CANNOT give the *results* to ANYONE inc. insurers or employers. You must sign a release of records to have any test result other than HIV** released at all.

** Doctors are required to report positive HIV results IF you *request* a HIV screening. The only exception is anonymous HIV testing offered by free clinics etc.

Basically your body is private. Unless you give permission to release the results.

#13 Uncle Z

Uncle Z

Probationary WT-

• Patients
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

Shoki said:

Thanks for the info. After hearing how some MMJ patients were being denied organ transplant and being denied opiates for pain because of MMJ use I was worried that medical centers were using it as an excuse to refuse services.

Thank you,
--Shoki

Is this what Kaiser is doing these days.
Denying people pain meds if the MMJ doesn't do the job.
Ain't that sweet?:nono:

zb1

#14 pookiebear

pookiebear

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

I was personally diagnosed with hep C before i had obtained my mmj license. i have been later told i dont have it and then that i do  it is still unsure. every doctor tells me different and cant explain why i get so sick, all i know is marijuana is the only thing that seems to help me. i have had bloodwork done about 10 times in the last two months and never less than 3 vials at a time. you are never tested for thc by your doctor or the lab unless you ask for this to be done and even if you are worried that they would do so just look at the paperwork they give you for the lab and either it would be clearly written or it would be checked in one of the boxes. im almost 100 percent positive that if you are an adult it is not legal for a doctor to test you for any controlled substance without your permission unless it were court ordered. hope this helps :)

#15 Camm Collective

Camm Collective

WT Regular

• Collectives
  • 358 posts
  • State:Ca
  • Vendor:Yes
  • Collective or Dispensary:Yes

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

yes that is what i thought.

koudekirk said:

It must be tested for, specifically. Not routine, as far as I know.

#16 BroadwayWellness

BroadwayWellness

1290 S Broadway Denver, CO 80210 (303) 997-8413

• Collectives
  • 66 posts
  • State:co

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

no sir....no sir

#17 ThaDj

ThaDj

Professionally Disturbed Individual

• Collectives
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:03 AM

the short answer, NO it is NOT found in "bloodwork". THC is hard to identify and seperate in a blood/urine test. The mere presence of it MUST be calculated so as to identify if it was a "toxic" that is,effective, dose or if it was 'casual' that is, you live w/a smoker but don't partake.

Furthermore, this test is extremely expensive and must be done by a certified Toxicology trained Phleb. As was said before, NO medical information may be given out w/out supporting legal documents, to any one person. (google HIPPA II). There are/have been several lawsuits against not only Kaiser but other ins.providers for this very issue. Every court has held that the information was obtained either illegally or through underhanded means, and in such, was used in the commission of/or as the proceeds of a crime, and therefore cannot be used in figuring in the patients co-pay or suitability for coverage. Many of these judgements are "gag ordered' so that the patient cannot speak about the case or settlement, though settlements are common in these cases. I wouldn't worry one bit about Grandpa. Most providers care about one thing, providing topnotch care. I would share all medical information with the Doctor, including MMJ usage. IF your Grandfather needed surgery, he would likely be given a respiratory depressant. The Dr.needs to know this so he can understand why Grandpa needs 1ltr/hr extra 02 than most patients. It's cause Grandpa puffs his pain meds and his 02 absorption is a bit slower, like any smoker. Be straight w/the medical staff and most of em will deal with you the same way! NaMaste!
'Lead, follow, or for fux sake get out of the way!'

'You can talk about it,or be about it':whoo:

#18 Skinzy420

Skinzy420

It's not Easy being Green

• Collectives
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:20 AM

man this thread is 2 years old :doh:

Posted Image

I Volunteer for NNCC

#19 ThaDj

ThaDj

Professionally Disturbed Individual

• Collectives
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

weeeellll then BUMP...lol
'Lead, follow, or for fux sake get out of the way!'

'You can talk about it,or be about it':whoo:

#20 C420online

C420online

Director - C420online.com

• Collectives
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

I was understood that they had to specifically test for it.

#21 Uncle Z

Uncle Z

Probationary WT-

• Patients
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

In two years, who knows, perhaps testing for cannabis has changed and prices are lower.

Either way, as a matter of routine course, it is not done is a normal drug panel.

.. now this thread can go back to sleep for another two years.:bounce:

#22 Skinzy420

Skinzy420

It's not Easy being Green

• Collectives
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:28 AM

THC does not show up in your CBC. It needs to be specifically tsted for..I ask everytime they take my blood. SOmetimes I just want to know how much is in me too :thumb:

Posted Image

I Volunteer for NNCC

guest / banned