#1 Pikachu

Pikachu

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 495 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:53 AM

Advertisement:
Tinctures are a very handy way to consume MMJ when other methods are not possible.

I know that with many edibles, binding with fat molecules seems necessary to absorb the active ingredients.

Is it more effective to consume tinctures with some fat, like a chocolate bar?

#2 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Tincture of Cannabis a.k.a. Green Dragon.

There are 2 main ways to medicate with Tincture:

1) Drink it down, and
2) Pop some under your Tongue.

I will discuss the latter Method.

Several Medicines are taken Under the Tongue (or Sublingually) . . . Vitamin B12, for instance.

When Tincture is placed under the Tongue, it gets absorbed into the Blood Stream very quickly. The High begins within one Minute; the Peak comes in just a few minutes. An Hour later, most of the effects are over. Two hours later, it is only a memory. This is useful when you just want to be High for a short while.

In this Sublingual Method, only a tiny amount of Tincture is used (an eye-dropper-ful or 2). This is a very economical way to use Tincture.

When you drink the Tincture, the effects are different:
1) It takes 30 minutes or so to Kick in;
2) It lasts for a lot of hours (5 to 9 hours);
3) It's more psychedelic; and
4) You have to drink quite a bit of it (equivalent to 3 times the usual smoking dose).

If anyone wants an in-depth version, just ask.

#3 Pikachu

Pikachu

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

Solidly-here said:

If anyone wants an in-depth version, just ask.

SH,

If you wouldn't mind expounding on the use of tinctures, I for one would greatly appreciate it.

#4 Pikachu

Pikachu

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

Solidly-here said:

There are 2 main ways to medicate with Tincture:

2) Pop some under your Tongue.

In this Sublingual Method, only a tiny amount of Tincture is used (an eye-dropper-ful or 2). This is a very economical way to use Tincture.

SH,

How long do you need to keep the tincture under your tongue for the sublingual method?

#5 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:04 PM

Pikachu asks: "How long do you need to keep the tincture under your tongue?"

One minute will do just fine.

1) Stretch your tongue, like backwards against the roof of your mouth;
2) Squirt an eye-dropper of Tincture under your tongue;
3) Move your tongue around (at least once or twice during a minute);
4) Gulp . . . Mmm.

When you pre-stretch your tongue, it opens up pores under there, and it empties the Salivary glands (so that Tincture can back-fill in there too).

After the one minute, most of the Tincture has been absorbed. Then, as you swallow, the rest heads for your stomach, and gets absorbed there.

P.S., I will go into detail . . . just ask me a question or 2.

#6 Guest_squareandrare_*

Guest_squareandrare_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

The last tincture I had burned like a motherfucker.  You might as well have been gargling 151.

#7 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

Tincture is really rough, when it's Everclear based.

If you are going to buy some tincture at a Co-op, ask what it is cut with. The easiest-to-take ones are Brandy (my favorite) and whiskey.

If you ever get it with Everclear (190 proof alcohol), it will burn when you take it. THE CURE: Mix about 50% Honey into the Tincture. This will make it taste good. After you do this, just take twice as much Tincture, as you would normally: It works real good.

The best way is: Make you own Tincture. Cut it with 60 proof specialty liquor. Yum yum.

#8 Pikachu

Pikachu

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thanks SH.

The PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol) is strong. It burns like a chilli pepper and causes you to salivate when placed under the tongue.

What gets extracted in a tincture?  Can you tell one strain from another? If you extract from a certain strain, will it be the same as smoking (I'm thinking of making my own from the strains I like)?

I've been using a "hash" tincture, which is supposed to be pretty strong. The label says to limit the dosage at 2 droppers full.

#9 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

Tincture 101

"What gets extracted in a tincture?"

The most important things which are Extracted are:
1) THCs (Delta-9 and Delta-8); and
2) Other psycho-active Cannabinoids.

Beyond this, other Alcohol-soluble things are absorbed (including Chlorophyll).

"Can you tell one strain from another?"

YES. Each Strain has its own specific make-up of each of the "get High" chemicals in it. When I buy Tinctures, they are usually labeled; so I know whether it's Sativa-based or Indica.

"If you extract from a certain strain, will it be the same as smoking (I'm thinking of making my own from the strains I like)?"

Yes, to a point.
Smoking a Strain: Whenever you smoke it, you know that it will affect you in a certain way; this is Good; you know what to expect, and then you get it: That signature High.

Tincturing a Strain: Whenever you use a Tincture (and it is from the same Strain), it will affect you in the same way. However, it may be a different way than when you are smoking that same Strain.

I am discussing the nature of taking a Drug in a different form. Each form of Pot (Smoking, Vap'ing, Tincturing, CannaButtered food, Hash Oil) affects me in different ways (even though it is the same original Pot Strain).

But, once you see how a particular Strain affects you (when it's Extracted, into a Tincture), then you can be sure that it will affect you that same way each time you "dose" with it.

Once you begin Tincturing, you will quickly discover your Favorite Strain(s). In fact, you may have a Sativa you like for certain days, and an Indica for other Fun times.

#10 Pikachu

Pikachu

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

SH,

I just got back from the Patients Choice Resource Cooperative in San Mateo, and received a sample of a new tincture they will be carrying. It is a non-alcohol based syrup. It is cinnamon flavored, and much sweeter than others I've tried.

If it contains no alcohol, how is are the cannabinoids carried?  Is this similar to how cannabis soda pop is made?  

TIA.

#11 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

Well, there's Tincture and then there's non-Tincture goodies.

A Tincture denotes a substance suspended in Alcohol.

A non-Tincture medium came out a couple years ago: Honey.
I have bought Honey-based Hash Oil a few times.
I prefer Alcohol, but I have mixed some of the Honey-stuff with some of the Alcohol.

THC mixes well in Honey. Once the THCs are Extracted (either with Alcohol or Butane), they may be mixed with one of several mediums.

Does your new cinnamon sample have an Ingredient label on it?
If so, let me know. I am interested in researching this further.
I do not know about the THC soda pop; I have never seen any.

#12 Pikachu

Pikachu

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:03 AM

Solidly-here said:

Well, there's Tincture and then there's non-Tincture goodies.

Does your new cinnamon sample have an Ingredient label on it?
If so, let me know. I am interested in researching this further.
I do not know about the THC soda pop; I have never seen any.

No, no list of ingredients on the bottle.

So far, none of the tinctures I have purchased from this place or others have had the strain listed. I suspect they use Indica as they make me a little sleepy.

#13 jbmagic

jbmagic

The Greenhouse owner

• Collectives
  • 180 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

I'm a couple of days into making a tincture.  I used two ounces of sativa buds and 151 Everclear.  From what I read it says to just use enough alcohol to cover the weed in a mason jar.  How much tincture do you think will come out of it.  I used almost a full bottle of Everclear.  Maybe I just answered my own question. :couch2:   When you mix honey with it is it on a one to one basis?  tHANKS
I work for The Greenhouse
JB

#14 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

Tincture-making: How much Alcohol is TOO MUCH?

Good news, Jbmagic, you did NOT add too much Booze to your mixture.

No matter how much Alcohol you add, it doesn't matter.
As long as you put in enough to extract the THC, it will happily absorb the THC.
If you add more than that minimum amount, it won't change the end product (it will just make it weaker in THC).

The "recipes" tell you to use "just" enough.
I guess they don't want people to get drunk while they are "Tincturing."

"How much tincture do you think will come out of it?"

If you used 750 ML of Everclear to extract with, you will end up with about 753 ML of Tincture.

As for dosage, each person will need a slightly different amount of Tincture to "get High."
As you drink up your creation, you will discover that amount.

"When you mix honey with it is it on a one to one basis?"

Sweeten it to your taste.

#15 Guest_Jackie Papers_*

Guest_Jackie Papers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

Solidly-here said:

"How much tincture do you think will come out of it?"

If you used 750 ML of Everclear to extract with, you will end up with about 753 ML of Tincture.

I am very curious where the #753ml comes from.
Remember that 151 is 25% water; the plant material will certainly retain some (every batch varies).
So, the amount of finished amount is a variable (X) not a fixed number.

#16 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

Jackie needs to know: "I am very curious where the #753ml comes from."

If you
1) take a FULL bottle of Booze (that contains 750 ML of Booze in it), and then
2) pour-in 3 ML of Honey into that bottle;
3) it will now contain 753 ML of liquid.

The same is true with adding the THC from 2 Ounces of Buds. When you strain-out the Buds, those MLs of THC (and other Goodies) will remain in the Booze.

#17 Hymie

Hymie

Thanks

• Patients
  • 359 posts
  • State:Ca

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:24 AM

I've had bad luck making my own tincture. I used about a 1/8 of good bud (grinded) and about 4 or 5 oz. of vodka. I let it sit for about 2 weeks shaking it every day and strained out the plant material. The resulting tincture didn't really do anything for me.

Did I do something wrong?

I would like to try again, but I don't want to waste any more medicine.

Advice?

#18 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hymie made-up a strong-enough batch of Tincture.

3.5 Grams in 4 Ounces of 80 Proof Booze is plenty good. In the Cannabis Buyers Clubs, they usually have 1 Gram per Ounce of Booze.

So, since the Tincture was made correctly, I suspect that the Dosing was the problem.

THE Question, to arrive at a strong-enough Dose of Tincture:

1) How much Pot do you usually smoke (in one session) to get High?

If you smoke half-a-Gram on an ordinary day, to get that nice ZING, then you will need to drink the equivalent of 1.5 Grams of Pot, to get Zooming along.

If you usually fire-up a Whole Gram of Pot (in one sitting), then you would want to take the equivalent of 3 Grams of Pot. In your case, that means you would have needed to drink almost all of your Tincture, in order to get a 6-Hour buzz.

If you took ONE-Gram's-worth of Tincture (when you body was "looking" for Two Grams), you may have not noticed much of any High at all.

So, how much did you do, at one time?

#19 Lotusawakening

Lotusawakening

WT Regular

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

hey could you ost a simple recipe...ie: 1 gram to 1 ounce, let sit fo rtwo weeks, shaking everyday..strain...botttle..use..:whoo:

#20 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

Lotus wants to know: "could you post a simple recipe [for Tincture]?"

I am awakening to the need of listing my personal Recipe for kick-ass Tincture.

1) Get some Pot;
2) Grind-up half-an-Ounce of it up pretty well (the THC extracts faster this way);
3) Pour my powdery Pot into a Mayo jar;

4) Add 14 Ounces of good-tasting Liquor (Peach Schnapps is my favorite);
5) Seal-up the jar;
6) Shake the jar;

7) Let the THC extract for 2 days (repeating Step 6 . . . 2 or 3 times each day);
8) Open my Tincture jar;
9) Take a BIG whiff (Mmm, this is a good batch);

10) Get another jar, stick a Funnel into it, and place a hunk of Cheesecloth in the Funnel;
11) Slowly pour my Tincture mixture into the Cheescloth (and watch pure Tincture drip through);
12) Lift up the saturated Cheescloth (squeeze it tightly, and watch more pure Tincture drip down) Mmm;

13) Throw away the now-THC-depleted Buds (and the Cheesecloth);
14) Drink one-and-a-half Ounces of my new batch of Tincture;
15) Wait 30 minutes;

16) Zoom, zoom, zoom.

#21 ganjagoddess2006

ganjagoddess2006

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

Capitol Wellness Collective in Sacramento has a yummy glycerine based product that doesn't burn at all. Very effective too.
When I make tincture let it evaporate for a while to make it more concentrated.

#22 Lotusawakening

Lotusawakening

WT Regular

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

thanx guyz/galz!!...will give it a try and let'cha know....any specific proff I need or will just about tanything (tekillya) work???

#23 jbmagic

jbmagic

The Greenhouse owner

• Collectives
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

Well if this was something that was sold at dispensaries, how is it sold.  Obviously you can cut the product with honey or more alcohol.  I have two ounces of buds to one bottle of Ever Clear.  How is it usually sold?:hippie:
I work for The Greenhouse
JB

#24 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:12 PM

Tincture . . . by the bottle.

Jbmagic asks: "Well if this was something that was sold at dispensaries, how is it sold?"

If a Cannabis Buyers Club stocks Tincture, it is in bottles. Mostly, they are brown eye-dropper bottles.
I have seen it sold in 2-Ounce bottles, 1-Ounce bottles, and half-Ounce bottles.
Most people purchase Tincture to use Sublingually.

What are the Tinctures cut with?
More often than not, Everyclear (yuck). I have seen Brandy (a favorite), Vodka, Schnapps, and specialty liquors (like Galiano).

What THC source is used?
Most of the time, they Alcohol-extract the THC, strain it, and pour it in the bottle.
Sometimes, they add Honey Oil (Butane-extracted) into a Liquor.

To use, just
1) unscrew the top;
2) squeeze the bulb;
3) let the bulb go;
4) place the eye-dropper under your tongue; and
5) squeeze the bulb.

#25 Solidly-here

Solidly-here

I am Here

• Patients
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

Lotus asked: "any specific proof I need, or will just about anything (tequila) work???"

Just about anything will work. Peach Schnapps, for instance, is 60 Proof.
So, pick your absolute favorite flavor, and GO FOR IT.

guest / banned