• Patients
  • 8,176 posts
  • State:CA
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Advertisement:
Symptoms:  Hardwater deposits insides the tube of the bong.

Cure:

That's the problem, to me.. Vinegar is used for removing those kind of  deposits but I am afraid my pipe will smell like vinegar for quite a while..

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

thanks,
zb1

#2 The Urban Spaceman

The Urban Spaceman

Budtender Deluxe

• Banned
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

zbestwun2001 said:

Symptoms:  Hardwater deposits insides the tube of the bong.

Cure:

That's the problem, to me.. Vinegar is used for removing those kind of  deposits but I am afraid my pipe will smell like vinegar for quite a while..

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

thanks,
zb1

ya have to wash with Dawn afterwards and then rinse, rinse, rinse.  CLR works well too.
much love

Posted Image  

#3 Uncle Z

Uncle Z

Probationary WT-

• Patients
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

The Urban Spaceman said:

ya have to wash with Dawn afterwards and then rinse, rinse, rinse.  CLR works well too.
much love

Ah, so should the vinegar be diluted or 100%

Thanks F,
zb

#4 The Urban Spaceman

The Urban Spaceman

Budtender Deluxe

• Banned
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

zbestwun2001 said:

Ah, so should the vinegar be diluted or 100%

Thanks F,
zb

try it half strength first.  and don't forget to open a window!

Posted Image  

#5 labrat

labrat

Reel stoned

• Collective Associate
  • 4,200 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

i use anti-freese (prestone )  but rince very well  or you will over heat!!!!! hahah   peace lab rat:punkrock:
old school,eat me iam a benny ,blow me iam a joint!!!

#6 genone111

genone111

I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon...

• Patients
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

I use Simple Green concentrate and scrub and rinse, clean as new, you have to dry the bong well...
:hippie:
RIP
CCAC
Holistic Solutions - 5/28/2008
CMC - 9/30/2008

#7 SoulRebel

SoulRebel

Tree Hugger Crew

• Patients
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

Soak your tobacco-water-pipe in 90% iso alcohol for a few hours, then toss in some raw rice and shake vigorously for several minutes, making sure to "scrub" off all of the stains using the shaken rice as your own personal army of scrubbers...:whoo:

... S R...:punkrock:
"The road to righteousness is too narrow,  the road to destruction is wide and open..."  Majek Fashek

#8 cannadyke

cannadyke

strain slut

• Patients
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

yeah---vinegar is traditionally used on fine glass ware to remove water spots. check by the dishwasher soap in the market, they usually sell stuff that will wash dishes w/out the spots. you could probably fill the kitchen sink w/ some product + water and soak a bit and rinse in very hot water. hot water is the key to not having the spots return.

#9 FourTwentyFTW

FourTwentyFTW

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

Soul Rebel has got the right idea, maybe add some rock salt and/or table salt to give that army some reinforcements, then after all the resin has been removed u can put it in the dish washer as long as u make sure its out of the way of any moving parts. Using anti-freeze or CLR sounds like craziness to me, personally I don't want the chance of any chemical residue from that stuff getting inside of me, simple green is supposed to be all natural and I'm sure rinsing enough will be fine. (granted no resin has been left behind, cleaning solution will stick to it) I've also tried using the pipe cleaning solutions from glass shops and that stuff works great, u soak the resinated glass in it for 8+ hrs (i did mine over night) then rinse well with hot water. When you rinse it with hot water all of the resin washes right out and your piece is left shining like new. :smokin:

#10 Guest_lil_missy74_*

Guest_lil_missy74_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:19 PM

you guys that let your bongs get nasty...GROSS....it doesn't take more than 5 minutes a day to keep your bong looking clean and your meds tasting fresh all the time....i wash ours everyday with exactly what SoulRebel said....you gotta use at least 90% iso, and i use pipe cleaners and dawn dish soap on the bowl and downstem, you gotta rinse them all with super hot water (it can come from the faucet, it doesnt need to be boiled or anything)....i do not have to scrub hard or anything, as long as you keep it maintained EVERYDAY

#11 Organo

Organo

The Most Medical-est

• Patients
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

^^^right. got to keep it clean in the first place. imo theres no point spending hundreds of dollars on a bong and letting it get real dirty. i clean mine about every 2 days with a specific, non-residue leaving cleaner that doesnt have that grainy stuff inside. plus i clean em and fill em with distilled water.

#12 stanley

stanley

Medicated since 1968

• Patients
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

a couple quick things I do...

soak in a hot (hot tap water is fine) solution of about a half gallon of water and about 1-2 tablespoons of a Dishwasher detergent (Cascade or something like it)...I rotate my pipes thru everyday, so it soaks overnight.... rinse like your life depends on it (it does) with hot water. IF you have a mineral build up, any mild acid will remove it, like vinegar... just rinse very thouroughly and there will be NO problem with residue from the vinegar....

then, to prevent spots....

rinse a final time in DISTILLED water.

doesnt need to be hot or sterile, it just needs to have NO MINERALS in it.... distilled water is cheap....

sparkly clean, no spots....

and a lot less expensive than the "commercial" cleaners....

or

90%+ iso alcohol works great as well, rock salt or rice can add the "abrasive scrub" you might need.... then rinse in hot water, with distilled water final rinse...

When I was in school, we always cleaned our labware with a detergent (cascade basically) followed by a rinse with acetone, then a final distilled water rinse....
Get involved in your community, volunteer some of your time!

We need the help!
:grouphug:

guest / banned