#1 medicalman

medicalman

Curious Cannabis Scholar

• Patients
  • 269 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

Advertisement:
How would I accurately measure out the concentrate as to avoid "clumping" all of it into one edible? (which btw, with anxiety would probably give me a heart attack) As an example, Im looking for a way to put a measured amount of concentrate in each hard candy.  And concentrate is best for making candy? Kief/hash/oil?

Sorry, this was on the fence, couldnt figure out if it belonged in Concentrates or Cooking
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 stanley

stanley

Medicated since 1968

• Patients
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:28 AM

I have used a couple methods.

For hash, I powder it in one of those blade type coffee grinders ($20 mr coffee works fine) with part of the sugar I am going to use in the recipe... I powder it as finely as possible, then mix with the balance of the sugar... works fine for baking...

For hash oil (which I kind of stay away from because of how they are made) I used to heat the butter or oil called for in the recipe, and then incorporate the hash oil into that while it was warm.... mixes very nicely that way... I would even "rinse" out the little glass vials the oil came in in the warm cooking oil.....

Since I started using concentrates for my edibles I will NEVER go back to bud butter.... Concentrates are MUCH more predictable for dosing, and I think they tend to taste better in most edibles.... hash tastes slightly "peppery" to me.... no more of that "green" taste from the buds....

Good luck, and let us know what you learn!
Get involved in your community, volunteer some of your time!

We need the help!
:grouphug:

#3 tpck

tpck

Old School

• Collective Associate
  • 290 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:09 AM

hash infused olive oil i have found is the best . easier to store(longer)than cannabutter and it has for more uses...brownies , pancackes... easier to make also! :hippie:

#4 delta9gamma

delta9gamma

Easing the pain 1 Chocolate bar at a time!

• Collectives
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

To be completely honest with ya, I make edibles and there really is no way to measure it.(expect by grams) its all about the trial and error.It really depends on what concentrate your using. Kief/hash/oil, they all have way different potency.

Hope that helps. Keep us updated.

:hippie:

I Love helping at Pure Doja Wellness Center

#5 sfvkat

sfvkat

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

So, if you cook with concentrates that are gooy or involve some sort of liquid-like consistency, are you basically going to end up eating butane?  Thats got to have a bad chemical effect I would think...like glue-sniffing or something.

I noticed the edibles I've made from flowers (butter) put me to sleep, but lack the euphoric uplift I was going for (I made the butter from mostly sativa flowers).  Would a sativa hash oil (or kief) be a better choice?  

I was thinking about doing some chocolate pretzel haystacks with :angel:.

#6 eldevin1

eldevin1

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:23 PM

so how would you cook with hash oil? i have some and  alot of shake i would want to use

#7 PineysConfections

PineysConfections

Home made Candies, Confections and Meals

• Vendors
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

I use infused olive oil and also cannabutter.  I'm just starting to use coconut oil, but it's an expensive ingredient.

There are dozens of recipes online - there's a hilarious one of a lady in Canada infusing olive oil using a pressure cooker.  She ends up absorbing quite a bit through her skin and the rest of the video is a riot.

I've found the best method for infusing olive oil and preparing cannabutter is the old fashioned 22 hour method on the gas range.  I've also tried using a crock pot and have had great success, but you MUST gring up your medication in a coffee grinder first.  Don't just throw a bunch of trim in the mix.

Invest in some latex gloves, some quality cookware, good organic ingredients, a good kitchen scale (this is what helps you with consistency in additional to whatever strain you use) and thermometer, and keep everything clean.  I wipe down all of my equipment with alcohol and sterilize everything else in the dishwasher.

I have a great recipe for lollipops using butter.  They end up tasting like tootsie pops without the tootsie roll.  Here's the link for the recipe.  Where it calls for butter, just use cannabudder.

http://www.bigoven.c...ops-recipe.html

Ultimately, you're going to discover what most edible makers already know - it's really hard work!

#8 AnarchyEdiables

AnarchyEdiables

home of the red star pops (suckers)

• Vendors
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

i agree with pineys... alot is hit and miss and trial and error...but its hard work with great rewards when something special is achieved...
p.s we think the crock pot is the best method to incorporate your medicine
ANARCHY EDIABLES

#9 Johnson420

Johnson420

Always Learning

• Patients
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

AnarchyEdiables said:

Never thought of using a crock pot, good to know.
Thanks

#10 pogoismydog420

pogoismydog420

mmmm tasty...

• Patients
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

AnarchyEdiables said:

i agree with pineys... alot is hit and miss and trial and error...but its hard work with great rewards when something special is achieved...

yeah, slow cooking...most people rush it and ruin it. rush=ruin...it takes me a good day or 3

#11 cookiemstr1

cookiemstr1

Lvn Socal Sunshine :)

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

The last batch of cannabudder I made I used a crock pot. Put it on before I went to bed on a Friday nite and baked all weekend... Both ways :D  I like the crock pot method, plus the one I use is perfect... 1.5 and had a warming setting that works great.  Never used concentrates to make edibles. Would the substitution for oil or butter be the same amount in concentrate? I want to try new things and find the right one. Although, I did find the hubby bar OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! Mouth crack is what I call it :D  I found my happy place!!

#12 THC_TLC

THC_TLC

Thankful for Legal Cannabis

• Patients
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

I've used cannabutter (crockpot with water and butter for 12+ hours), but have had trouble with consistent potency.  Each batch would have to be tested to gauge the dosage.

Recently, I've been cooking with hash.  I find it is much easier to titrate (about 0.5 gram per dose).  I just crumble it up into the batter, just like brown sugar.  And I don't necessarily have to make those rich, buttery edibles that are so mouthwateringly delicious.  

I'm eager to try Stanley's coffee-grinder method.

#13 pogoismydog420

pogoismydog420

mmmm tasty...

• Patients
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:24 AM

eldevin1 said:

so how would you cook with hash oil? i have some and  alot of shake i would want to use

mely your butter down and then incorporate your oil into it...slowly and low heat. iv made brownys with great success. however i would save grade a oil and only cook with the stuff that didnt come out so hot(like bad quality i wouldnt smoke)...just too expensive to be using gooood oil on.

#14 dub77

dub77

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Finally a cooking thread on WT without bad info.  

Just read another where a bunch of people advocate throwing flowers directly into butter and heating. That is a great way to kill your thc.

Everybody on this thread seems to know whats up. Cannabutter is all about a low heat simmer for a long period. I thought my 12 hour simmers were long, you guys are seriously dedicated.

And yeah those concentrates are fire for cooking. Hubbys bars need to come with additional warning labels.

Edited by dub77, 04 September 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#15 Looney2nz

Looney2nz

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

Ultimately, you're going to discover what most edible makers already know - it's really hard work![/QUOTE]

AGREED.  I bake for myself, but it IS quite a bit of hard work!!!

E used olive oil infused with keif as a topical...  but I generally stick with safflower or sunflower oil for baking.

I normally do small batches in a double boiler, but I tried about 1 oz of finely ground trim in a crockpot the other night...  it's an old crock pot, 2 temps, low seems to be around 200F, hi seems to be around 275F.  I used low, then flipped to high a couple times.  Cooked it for about 3 hours, and stirred it often.  Do you have a better range of times/temps for better potency, without sacrificing taste?

How long do you infuse your oil for?  22 hours had to be the old cannabutter recipe, no? :)

NOW the question is how do you easily express the oil retained in the pulp?  I normally use cheesecloth and twist compress it, works pretty good, but for this much....  is there a better (affordable) alternative?

p.s. for comic relief...  none of the local so cal supermarkets currently stock cheesecloth, they say it's SEASONAL!  HUH???

#16 Looney2nz

Looney2nz

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:35 AM

moms_brownies said:

we go even longer......

love those programmable crock pots:thumb:

so what's a good one, and how much do they allow you to program?
time, temp. change of temp?

rather than making cannabutter, how long would you infuse safflower oil and 1 oz of trim and then how do you efficiently press the remaining oil out of the pulverized trim? :)

#17 cypress bill

cypress bill

Opinionated Asshole

• Patients
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

i use keif or bubblehash when i make cannabutter.
3.5-7 grams per cup of butter.
i've cooked it for 3 hours in a double boiler and i've also just melted the butter and added the keif and used it right away.
i have yet to try infusing oil but will do it soon.

#18 ladyknight

ladyknight

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,137 posts
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

This thread is closed due to a violation of the Terms of Service:

No discussion of making concentrates is allowed of any kind- including but not limited to hash, ganja butter, and tinctures.

Thank you for your understanding :tortue-musique:

Questions, Concerns? Contact the Help Desk!

:glitterleaf:Coupons for Weed-More Savings! :glitterleaf:

guest / banned