- - - - -

valerian root as a substitute for benzodiazepines?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kushad

Kushad

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 386 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

Advertisement:
Valerian root is supposed to be an all natural remedy for insomnia and anxiety issues.  I read that its very similar to benzodiazepines because they both work with GABA.

does anyone know anymore about this?

if they are so similar, wouldn't it be a much better idea for someone using benzodiazepines to switch to valerian root as a way to discontinue the use of benzodiazepines?

I would think that an all natural method like valerian would be much healthier than using incredibly addicting benzodiazepines.  

anybody have any more info on this?

i really appreciate any help!

thanks alot

#2 The Urban Spaceman

The Urban Spaceman

Budtender Deluxe

• Banned
  • 5,424 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:04 AM

Here's what Wikipedia has to say...

Medicinal use

Valerian is used for insomnia and other disorders.
In the United States Valerian is sold as a nutritional supplement. Therapeutic use has increased as dietary supplements have gained in popularity, especially after the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act was passed in 1994. This law allowed the distribution of many agents as over-the-counter supplements, and therefore allowed them to bypass the regulatory requirements of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Valerian is used against sleeping disorders, restlessness and anxiety, and as a muscle relaxant. Valerian often seems only to work when taken over longer periods (several weeks), though many users find that it takes effect immediately. Some studies have demonstrated that valerian extracts interact with the GABA and benzodiazepine receptors. Valerian is also used traditionally to treat gastrointestinal pain and irritable bowel syndrome. However, long term safety studies are missing. As valepotriates may be potential mutagens,[citation needed] valerian should only be used after consultation with a physician.
Valerian is sometimes recommended as a first-line treatment when benefit-risk analysis dictates. Valerian is often indicated as transition medication when discontinuing benzodiazepines.
Valerian has uses in herbal medicine as a sedative. The main current use of valerian is as a remedy for insomnia, with a recent meta-analysis providing some evidence of effectiveness.[8] It has been recommended for epilepsy but that is not supported by research (although an analogue of one of its constituents, valproic acid, is used as an anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing drug). Valerian root generally does not lose effectiveness over time.
One study found that valerian tends to sedate the agitated person and stimulate the fatigued person, bringing about a balancing effect on the system.[9]

Posted Image  

#3 Repsol720

Repsol720

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

I myself have the worst sleeping problem that I have ever heard about. I have also experimented with benzos, valerian root, diphenhydramine, melatonin, ambien regular and CR, Lunesta, and every other thing you can try. To me it all makes you feel slightly different similar to different strains of marijuana. But by far benzodiazapines are the most potent but most dangerous as well with many bad side effects like stomach cramping after prolonged use and sleeping really sucks when you come off the benzos. To sum it up, its definitely worth a try, but if it doesn't work, then stick to what you know works but be careful and never overdueand take breaks off narcotics every other week.

#4 silvercloud

silvercloud

all clouds have silver linings

• Patients
  • 2,246 posts
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Valerian root is a fine ,'mild' ,anti anxiety domestic herb ,ie.,liq.extrct ; issue ,not known for insomnia ... might be better prepared for malady w/ combo ... :smile2:3-5mg melotonin ,*kavakava kapsules ,5-HTP >>> benzodi'a'zepines ... that is all ...

psst* ya might wanna chk w/md re: liver interaction (ie.,alcohol)
Try to keep an open:1eye:"3rdEye" wherever ,whenever .....

"If time doesn't wait  ,why wait on time" ... ?/? .....

#5 Kushad

Kushad

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

Repsol720 said:

I myself have the worst sleeping problem that I have ever heard about. I have also experimented with benzos, valerian root, diphenhydramine, melatonin, ambien regular and CR, Lunesta, and every other thing you can try. To me it all makes you feel slightly different similar to different strains of marijuana. But by far benzodiazapines are the most potent but most dangerous as well with many bad side effects like stomach cramping after prolonged use and sleeping really sucks when you come off the benzos. To sum it up, its definitely worth a try, but if it doesn't work, then stick to what you know works but be careful and never overdueand take breaks off narcotics every other week.

ive been taking ativan (lorazepam) at night for sleep and i really would just rather stop.  for some reason i just dont feel comfortable taking a prescription medication every day and ive heard horror stories about benzo addiction.

i would rather take something all natural for my problems.

i do of course use marijuana but it doesnt seem to work as good as the ativan.  nothing puts me to bed like ativan.

so now im looking for a way to stop ativan and use something natural.  

i was hoping valerian root would be the one.

am i not smoking the right marijuana?

#6 Kushad

Kushad

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:22 AM

silvercloud said:

Valerian root is a fine ,'mild' ,anti anxiety domestic herb ,ie.,liq.extrct ; issue ,not known for insomnia ... might be better prepared for malady w/ combo ... :smile2:3-5mg melotonin ,*kavakava kapsules ,5-HTP >>> benzodi'a'zepines ... that is all ...

psst* ya might wanna chk w/md re: liver interaction (ie.,alcohol)

mild hu...whats a strong one?

man i wish i had health insurance right now so i could ask my doc all these questions, but i dont! ahh! it really really sucks.

i dont drink that much.  maybe only twice a week.

#7 silvercloud

silvercloud

• Patients
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

Kushad said:

mild hu...whats a strong one?

man i wish i had health insurance right now so i could ask my doc all these questions, but i dont! ahh! it really really sucks.

i dont drink that much.  maybe only twice a week.

If your 'liver' is healthy:smile2:,should b since alcohol not abused ,ya will hav no problem ,just b sure not to exceed:no:50 kapsules(60mg/ea)/week ... to b safe ,try melotonin/5-HTP first ,if needed add medible ,then last resort kavakava (will put ya down) ... that is all .....

#8 The Urban Spaceman

The Urban Spaceman

Budtender Deluxe

• Banned
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

what kind of strain are you smoking before bed?  for me almost any kind of Purp will make me sleepy about an hour after i smoke it! an OG will do it for me too but it takes a bit more of that.

Posted Image  

#9 Kushad

Kushad

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

silvercloud said:

If your 'liver' is healthy:smile2:,should b since alcohol not abused ,ya will hav no problem ,just b sure not to exceed:no:50 kapsules(60mg/ea)/week ... to b safe ,try melotonin/5-HTP first ,if needed add medible ,then last resort kavakava (will put ya down) ... that is all .....
ok...so melotonin before alverian root?

#10 Kushad

Kushad

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

The Urban Spaceman said:

what kind of strain are you smoking before bed?  for me almost any kind of Purp will make me sleepy about an hour after i smoke it! an OG will do it for me too but it takes a bit more of that.

i have pure kush and master kush at the moment.  i smoke it throughout the day also though, so do you think i may be developing a slight tolerance to its effects?

#11 silvercloud

silvercloud

• Patients
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

Kushad said:

ok...so melotonin before alverian root?

Me would think so since melotonin is produced naturally in our system ,w/deterioration w/age ... no OD ,:smile2:'not' stored in liver ,just metabolized in kidney ,no problemo .....

#12 gregorcheese

gregorcheese

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Why not just smoke more marijuana? If I smoke marijuana an hour and a half before I want to fall asleep, I never have a problem. Does this not work for you?

#13 KushMeister

KushMeister

Terminally Chill

• Collectives
  • 4,801 posts
  • Vendor:Yes
  • Collective or Dispensary:Yes

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

I would pick up either a heavy hitting purple (Purple Wheelchair, a Good GDP, XXX God's Gift, etc) or a good 100% Indica Afghani Strain.

I WOULDN'T medicate with this strain all day long, but would instead, save this for Nite time use only, and find another (perhaps less heavy) strain to medicate with during the day.

I find that over time, you do tend to build somewhat of a tolerance to any given strain.  I change my strains as often as needed.  Some strains I find, that after a few weeks, I'm not getting the same effect, where other strains may take quite a bit longer.

I am currently taking a break from my daytime med of choice (Banana Crack), as after over 3 months of daily use, I am finally beginning to notice a much reduced effect, and the current batch at the club that I buy this from, is as dank as ever...maybe even more :(

Another thing to try, might be the addition of a nice Indica Dominant concentrate on top of your flower.

My last resort, done at times when it's just not cool to medicate, is to down 1/2 a bottle of NiQuel!  This always seems to do the trick!

Best of luck with your sleep (or lack of) issues!

Insomnia Sucks!

Hey, Don't Blame Me...

I Voted YES On 19!

#14 El Stinko

El Stinko

WT Regular

• Vendors
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

Yeah , Sleepless nights frickin blow ! 4 Me i just can't stopp thinking or thoughts keep rollin...

And for the most part, I really don't get real sleepy off flowers...

Now the smell of the valerian root is just crazy.... 5-8 pills and it works..

Butt from what peeps have told me is ... Valerain Root is what they make Valium from... Right?

So it's dam close to being hooked them ( Benziods) Sp.?.....

I CRAVE LONG SLEEPING TIME !

Times eatting my Meds. do work . Next day can be a bit heavy...

A fellow NoN-Sleeping fool

P.S. did i say anything help full ? Huuummmm...

#15 Scheize

Scheize

I

• Patients
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

Melatonin you can get online for $2/100 tabs.

In the stores it's like $7-10 for some reason.  

Also check out Phenibut.

And 5-htp is good.

#16 Kushad

Kushad

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

thanks for all the tips guys.  basically im trying to eliminate the use of benzo's and replace with all natural remedies.

i really appreciate all the help.

#17 tommyz1052

tommyz1052

High, Im New!

• Patients
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:23 PM

Kushad said:

ive been taking ativan (lorazepam) at night for sleep and i really would just rather stop.  for some reason i just dont feel comfortable taking a prescription medication every day and ive heard horror stories about benzo addiction.

i would rather take something all natural for my problems.

i do of course use marijuana but it doesnt seem to work as good as the ativan.  nothing puts me to bed like ativan.

so now im looking for a way to stop ativan and use something natural.  

i was hoping valerian root would be the one.

am i not smoking the right marijuana?

Discontinuing Benzodiazepams without a doctors help is not advised.

Depending on the dose it could , possible induce a seizure. As your brain gets used to the Benzo' being there.

Discuss it with your doctor. But as always take time to discontinue it.

I use the rule of 1/2 for benzo's a 1/2 of current dose for a week. Then a 1/4 if possible. This way you stop from a lower level.

Ativan actually can be used for insomnia but a designer shorter acting one like  
Temazepam if effective is less habit forming. And will cause less side effects the next day.

Valerian root is used more in Europe, however to much can be toxic to the liver. Since there is no standardized form of it. It is difficult to tell what dose that is. Dont go over the directions on the bottle.

#18 HipHopJ

HipHopJ

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:04 AM

Ive battled many sleepless nice and buds work but concentrates and edibles r where its at for good sleep. A indica hash B4 bed puts the lights out n a potent edible will have me asleep for at least 10 hours. Sadly i havent had this combo in a while but im sleeping aight wit da buds. Low cash flo sucks!

#19 Guest_Yoda_*

Guest_Yoda_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:25 AM

A late finished Indica will put you in a coma for day's if your not careful,.
most co-ops pull the bud when it's just almost early `to done - never the later,.
it makes the smoke more harsh and then people complain,.
also the higher THC levels make the smoke super harsh and very expansive something else people complain about,. so it is hard to find,.
just have to learn how to smoke, make concentrates or cannabudder out of it,.

Any good Indica Purple Hash oil would be the 2nd best thing,.
no Kush,.
GDP, or only PE strains ..  Black Domina is 'Wicked' if you can find her..

#20 Guest_senorlou_*

Guest_senorlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:59 PM

I'm sorry you're suffering from insomnia.  I've had it so badly - near hospitalization.

Benzodiazepines = 44 magnum
Valerian = pea shooter

At least in the very short term.  I've taken tons of the capsules and basically nothing - a little yawning.  I have never taken it over time - only in large amounts (4 caps or so) and nothing.  Perhaps taking it every night over time would work, but I've never tried that.  Might be worth looking into.
Melatonin seemed to work a little more than the Valerian, and those sugar pills taste so good!  But compared to benzos?  You've got to be kidding.

I know about benzo addiction and it is very scary - but there is one alternative I know of.  It isn't pretty or fun at all, so please stop smiling.  It's a pill called Trazodone.  I take it every night. Maybe somebody already mentioned it to you, but let me tell you what I know about it.  You do have to take it every day - or nearly every day - for it to fully work, at least as far as I know.  That's the only way I've taken it.  I've never taken it just once in a while, it's been an every day med for me.

It took about 2 days for Trazodone to fully kick in.  I'm not sure why, because now the pill affects me in half an hour.  The high - or low - is nowhere near as nice and fluffy as benzos - at least not at first.  I had horrible, incredible stomach cramps after my 2nd day on that stuff.  Worst stomach pain of my life.  It lasted about 2 hours, went away.  I've been on Trazodone nearly every day since - and that was over 2 years ago.  
You have to take this stuff with a small amount of food or it won't work well.  Yeah, you will feel a buzz - but it's a buzz like the one you'd get from loading semi trucks with tractor tires all day.  You're just exhausted, so you knock out.  I sleep fairly well every night I take it.  I take it just before bed.  Soon as I feel it kick in - blam I'm out.  Like I said, the "buzz" of Trazodone isn't very pleasant at all, in my opinion, which is where the MMJ comes in, and any strain will do - so long as it's quality MMJ.  Bubble hash is wonderful if you can afford it.  I usually keep some around for rough nights, but it's expensive as hell, IMO.  
If you only smoke the MMJ at night, right before bed, it will hit you much harder than if you smoke it all day, so I only smoke in the day on the weekends. Tolerance will make the MMJ far less effective as a sleep aid.  The combo of MMJ and Trazodone works about 80% of the time.  When I'm really bad - I open a jar of very frighteningly addictive pills called Xanax (Alprazolam).  Yes it's a benzodiazepine.  I fear and respect those pills very much.
Since I do not like the buzz of the Trazodone, I do not EVER abuse the Trazodone like I will Ativan or Xanax or Klonopin, so Trazodone is GREAT for using every day in that you will probably not vary your dose much - or piss off your doctor by taking a month's worth of pills in five days.  That won't ever happen on Trazodone.  You'll take it like a multi vitamin.  Very important to state - there are some bad side effects involving little things like blood pressure, etc, etc, with this drug.  It'll knock you on your butt.  An example - taking a pee in the night - you gotta sit on the pot even if you're a boy.  I learned my lesson the hard way.  Post piss fell backwards on my cat's litter box from a massive - MASSIVE headrush.  I was laughing my head off when I came to about 2 seconds later - but that's the way it is on Trazodone.  So when I say Trazodone will knock you out - I'm not kidding - it will knock you out.  Not fun, but the only replacement I've EVER found for benzos, and that's not good news.  Mornings are hard - have to drink at least 32 oz of strong coffee to "wake up".  It doesn't affect my work, but I do feel damn sleepy some mornings.  I've taken up to 150mg a day, but I'm down to 75mg and have been for months.  I'm down to three cups of weak coffee a day, or one large strong coffee from wherever.  I probably won't get off Trazodone without some withdrawals, but I don't think it'll be as bad as getting off the benzos.  BTW if you don't have insurance - it is very cheap.  Was going for about $25 for a month's worth a few years back.  F'ing Zoloft was something like $220!  So, if you're hard up on cash - Trazodone is cheap, effective, and dirty.

As far as benzo addiction goes - it's HORRIBLE.  If you're in some kind of crippling depression - just take them and worry about the addiction later.  Just respect those benzos.
Sorry this is so long.
EXERCISE is another thing to think about - so long as you're not stuck in a nasty depression where you're spiraling toward catatonia - by then you need the benzos, etc.  I've been doing heavy manual labor lately at work (moving crap) for weeks, really working until I'm pouring sweat and I gotta say - been sleeping like a madman - and few benzos.  An hour at the gym every day, and I'm going to sleep well.  Exercise works wonders.  Blah blah blah, I could go on forever about insomnia.  Bottom line, it's like torture.  Longest I went was 5 days - then my doctor - who wouldn't give me any more benzos gave me Trazodone, and a day later - I slept just fine.
Good luck, people, and good night.

#21 OGHASHPLANT310

OGHASHPLANT310

WT O.G.

• Patients
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

Yes Valerian is a natural form of Benzo's to some degree...
WEST SIDE!!!

guest / banned