can drug dogs detect edibles?

#2 Medpatient

Medpatient

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,561 posts
  • State:Ca

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

That is actually a really good question.
Posted Image

All Orange county reviews are based on the average of orange county quality

#3 Guest_darkintheglow_*

Guest_darkintheglow_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

I've wondered that myself! I would guess it depends on the edible. I've had some candy recently that was made with tinctures and you can barely detect just the slightest "odd" taste, but it doesn't even taste like cannabis. With those candies wrapped and in a tin, I would be amazed if a dog could sniff it out.

On the other hand, lots of baked edibles have a definite cannabis taste to them and I would imagine a dog might be able to identify that.

#4 FARMER

FARMER

WT Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • 528 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

weedtracker said:

can drug dogs detect edibles?

Yes they can. The same scents they are trained for when setting a dog up to detect contriiband are present in edibles. THC is THC and present whenever...present.
"These are the times that try men's souls." -Thomas Paine 1783

RUN, DON'T WALK, TO JOIN ASA TODAY. YOUR  RIGHTS DEPEND ON IT!:high5:

#5 Guest_Zelig_*

Guest_Zelig_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

I am pretty sure they can.  I remember being told that dogs can smell the actual items that comprise something, such as an edible.  We smell brownie, but they smell eggs, flour, sugar, etc.  I heard it on tv so it has to be true.

#6 weedtracker

weedtracker

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 817 posts
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

i was thinking they wouldnt be able to detect it because they are trained to smell the buds and the baked goods dont smell like buds.

#7 Medpatient

Medpatient

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,561 posts
  • State:Ca

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

Zelig said:

I am pretty sure they can.  I remember being told that dogs can smell the actual items that comprise something, such as an edible.  We smell brownie, but they smell eggs, flour, sugar, etc.  I heard it on tv so it has to be true.

actually I do remember that as well. It was on Barry Coopers how not to get busted video. He broke it down and explained just like that.
Posted Image

All Orange county reviews are based on the average of orange county quality

#8 Guest_Zelig_*

Guest_Zelig_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

Medpatient said:

actually I do remember that as well. It was on Barry Coopers how not to get busted video. He broke it down and explained just like that.

Ahhh, ok I was wondering what the hell I would have been watching that was talking about that... I was thinking Animal Planet  :slaugh:

But yeah that must be where I got it, that's a great vid btw.

#9 Smilodon

Smilodon

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 1,478 posts
  • Patient:Yes

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Sounds like a question for Rix.  Does Kondor smell mj in brownies and such?  My dogs ignore it unless I blow it in their face, and then they just kick back.  One of my cats runs when I light up the other just sits and watches, lol.

My guess is that they do detect the odor whether it is singled out of the ingredients or if it is just that distinguishable.:faint:
    Happy is one who does good to others; miserable is one who expects good from others.

Hazrat Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan

#10 FARMER

FARMER

WT Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • 528 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

GreenMan said:

I have a police dog training facility in the next town over. I have been there wanting to have my dog take classes in obedience. But they wouldnt let me cause im not a law enforcement dude. But I did talk to some of the guys there. One of them said the dogs could even detect mj scent coming out of a window A/C drip water.
But dont listen to me.... Im just a 'desert rat' that all you 'valley girls and boys' like to make fun of........:tongue: :tinfoil3:

Awwww, Desert Rats Need Love, too!
"These are the times that try men's souls." -Thomas Paine 1783

RUN, DON'T WALK, TO JOIN ASA TODAY. YOUR  RIGHTS DEPEND ON IT!:high5:

#11 Jamesf

Jamesf

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 631 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

My cousin has a friend who is an officer with a drug dog. Apparently the cop has  various drugs concealed in bags and then placed in their own jars with cotton balls inside the jar as well. He took a cotton ball out of the jar and told my cousin to place it in his car. Needless to say the dog found the cotton ball which has been in a jar of herion for a few minutes. So to answer your question, I am SURE a police dog can smell the edible. Edibles almost always taste like pot, so I wouldnt be surprized if the scent caught a dogs nose.

#12 rix

rix

San Pedro - Harbor Area ~ 71O

• Administrators
  • 22,502 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

FARMER said:

Yes they can. The same scents they are trained for when setting a dog up to detect contriiband are present in edibles. THC is THC and present whenever...present.

yup. a dog trained to find contraband will do just that.

Smilodon said:

Sounds like a question for Rix.  Does Kondor smell mj in brownies and such?  My dogs ignore it unless I blow it in their face, and then they just kick back.  One of my cats runs when I light up the other just sits and watches, lol.

My guess is that they do detect the odor whether it is singled out of the ingredients or if it is just that distinguishable.:faint:

Kondor doesnt smell mj in brownies cuz he wasnt trained to search for it. but, believe me, service dogs trained for that can find it in a heartbeat...

#13 Jamesf

Jamesf

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 631 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

Ive heard most dogs can only be trained to smell one or a certain type of class of drugs, meaning one dog cant smell meth, coke, bud, herion, etc etc. Anybody know if this is true or not?

#14 joeyjojo

joeyjojo

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

Dogs' noses are incredible.  Think about how bloodhounds can track people down in the woods by smelling where theyve been.  Shepards may not be as good, but they can definately smell THC when told to do so.  I love dogs, but the K9 unit always scares the crap out of me, even if I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm pretty sure that most dogs are trained for a specific purpose though.  So bomb sniffing dogs won't bark if drugs are present.

#15 La_Mogwai

La_Mogwai

how very meta

• Patients
  • 260 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Zelig said:

Ahhh, ok I was wondering what the hell I would have been watching that was talking about that... I was thinking Animal Planet  :slaugh:

But yeah that must be where I got it, that's a great vid btw.

I was sitting here thinking, should I get out his video to see what he says?

To anyone who hasn't seen Barry Cooper - it's the best $20 you'll ever spend, and he's got a great attitude about the futility and ridiculousness of the War on Drugs.

#16 rix

rix

• Administrators
  • 22,502 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

Jamesf said:

Ive heard most dogs can only be trained to smell one or a certain type of class of drugs, meaning one dog cant smell meth, coke, bud, herion, etc etc. Anybody know if this is true or not?

you can train a single detection dog to search for anything, wether it be drugs, bombs, or ?.  you just have to train them each item at a time.
train to search for mj. once he's got it down, then train for heroin, once he's got that down train for...etc.
to the dog, its all about the reward. a tennis ball or kong, etc.

Posted Image

#17 rix

rix

• Administrators
  • 22,502 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

joeyjojo said:

Dogs' noses are incredible.  Think about how bloodhounds can track people down in the woods by smelling where theyve been.  Shepards may not be as good, but they can definately smell THC when told to do so.  I love dogs, but the K9 unit always scares the crap out of me, even if I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm pretty sure that most dogs are trained for a specific purpose though.  So bomb sniffing dogs won't bark if drugs are present.

dont worry about the K9's bro, i never heard of a rogue K9.
rogue handlers maybe, but not rogue dogs. :swink:

#18 Guest_Zelig_*

Guest_Zelig_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Please don't discuss file sharing on this website.  It's illegal after all.  :)

Thanks!

#19 savage

savage

sucka free

• Patients
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

dogs can smell buds to bombs. saw a presentation in my highschool auditorium back in the day.

they had several crates and places random things in the different boxes eg. shoes, food, bullets, mj and what not. the trainer went to the dog, gave him a whiff of what to find, the dog went straight to the box and found the item requested.

don't take your chances, youll end up calling a bail bond.

Posted Image

#20 steveadams203

steveadams203

Quick Fused Sighter

• Vendors
  • 189 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

Question: Can drug-sniffing police canines detect the smell of cannabis in medicinal edibles?

Answer: Yes, canines selected for narcotics detection are mainly chosen on the basis of their breed. With 85-90% being pure breed german shepards. Why? Because they have nearly two billion scent receptors. Almost 20x what the average human can detect. Personally, I can smell mine through tupperware.

However, properly sealed in double or even triple vaccum sealed bags are required to keep smell from canines. If traveling, always store your goods at the highest possible level, as canines smell the lowest points.

Be safe and have fun! -Steve
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolutions inevitable."

#21 squatter420

squatter420

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:06 PM

Many K9s are trained using a product called psuedo. It is a clear cream that has the scent of MJ. It is difficult to obtain but you can guess the fun one might garner from it's possession. I highly recommend it's misuse.

#22 referee4

referee4

Fighting for the RIGHT to medicate In Peace.

• Patients
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

As to dogs sniffing out edibles .. my cents thats like asking do bears shit in the woods..

guest / banned