Dabz away!

• Banned
  • 8,684 posts
  • State:ca
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Advertisement:
The Long Beach City Council voted last night to ban medical marijuana dispensaries from operating in the city, but allowed clubs that won the city's controversial marijuana lottery to remain open for four months. The clubs that were exempted from the ban belong to the Long Beach Collective Assocation,  (LBCA) and include 18 dispensaries that have spent hundreds of  thousands of dollars on city permitting fees. As of now, all other clubs  operating within city limits that failed to  win the lottery or which never participated (and which haven't already  been shut down) now face the immediate possibility of being raided by  city police and code enforcement officers.

In recent weeks, LBCA has mounted a public relations campaign to pressure the city not  to abandon its medical marijuana ordinance, major portions of which  have been ruled illegal in a case involving patients whose clubs were shut down by the city that is now before the California  Supreme Court.

Although the ostensible reason for allowing the  exempted clubs to continue operating for four months is to allow for the  Supreme Court to issue its ruling, such clarity isn't likely to arrive  in less than a year, although the city will always have the option of  extending its exemption. Until now, the city has only occasionally  raided various clubs that lost the lottery or which refused for  financial or ideological reasons to pay the hefty $15,000 application  fee, and no raids have been carried out since the city's ordinance was  ruled illegal late last year. But now that the city has a ban on the  books, the raids are likely to pick up speed.

Stay tuned for more details as they come!

Source

#2 budluva

budluva

Dedicated to be Medicated

• Patients
  • 773 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

Terrible, what a mess! the LB city council really fudged this whole thing up

#3 Honey Spot

Honey Spot

Hi, Im New!

• Collectives
  • 279 posts
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:Yes
  • Collective or Dispensary:Yes

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Thats Terrible.... Why are patients not fighting for their rights???? Where is the support from the Patients....... This is Terrible

I volunteer for The Honey Spot

323-819-8036

6775 Santa Monica Blvd.

Hollywood CA 90038

#4 bingo

bingo

CSH Volunteer

• Collectives
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Ivy-
The truth of the matter is that the Shops that were not part of the permitting process were located either too close to schools or parks violating the city's Zoning code. It wasn't that "they" couldn't or wouldn't pay the $15k, it's that they WERE NOT ELIDGIBLE to participate in the process.

The Supreme Court will likely rule in favor of the City's Zoning, Hours Of Operation for Shops, and a couple of other areas. The Appeals court already stated that there is Severablility in the Original Ordinance which was challenged by the Pack Case.

The City Enacted a BAN (except for 18 shops), to close those shops that are operating in defiance of the Original Ordinance. Again, all of the shops shops affected by the BAN are located too close to schools or parks. Further, the Lottery was held to keep 1000ft between shops, which is STATE LAW. I think the City should have just asked for Lease Agreements & whoever there was first could remain open, however that was not the case.

The City, from what I've heard, with the support of the Police, will actively begin raiding shops as the City is "fed-up" with this issue.

#5 bingo

bingo

CSH Volunteer

• Collectives
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

IMO, the City of Los Angeles will go the same route as Long Beach, btw. Hopefully, for the patients in LA, this will happen instead of an outright ban on ALL SHOPS.

The question I'd ask: Well, do we, as patients, prefer a hundred or so shops in the City of Los Angeles, or Long Beach, or none at all? Hmmmmm....easy choice. This isn't rocket science.

#6 Purple Elephant Collective

Purple Elephant Collective

WT Regular

• Collectives
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

There is no state law that requires a 1000 ft. buffer in between coops/collectives... Where did you get your inaccurate information from?
Home of the Strawberry Diesel!

#7 Mike949

Mike949

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostPurple Elephant Collective, on 18 February 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

There is no state law that requires a 1000 ft. buffer in between coops/collectives... Where did you get your inaccurate information from?

You're probably right about there not being a state law, but the cities are going to keep passing zoning ordinances like this one. All it takes is a few city council members to do it. The courts have already ruled in some cases that cities have a right to place an outright ban on MMJ collectives if they want to

This may conflict with what we passed in 1996, but both the state and federal courts are always going to side with anti-marijuana crusaders IMO

#8 bingo

bingo

CSH Volunteer

• Collectives
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Give me a bit to locate the 1000ft buffer between shops. Have to read all of the MMJ bills now. It's there, however I just don't remember where. (Unless it was modified) I remember that 2.5 years ago when we opened that our Attorney told us not to be within 1000ft of another shop. Hmmmm...

#9 DreamSmoker

DreamSmoker

Disabled

• Patients
  • 916 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

In a nut shell, the Feds were successful in shutting Down California access..
All Cities and Counties are off the hook for the Legal Costs to continues fighting this in the Courts..
Now no Access for the Patients except for the streets...

All because of Fear and the Power to control...
Nothing at all Righteous or Right about this...
Its now time to gear up our campaign to legalize this all together in every State..

#10 Purple Elephant Collective

Purple Elephant Collective

WT Regular

• Collectives
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

There is no state law on that subject. Only state buffer is 600 ft. from schools.
Home of the Strawberry Diesel!

#11 GreenCure1213

GreenCure1213

Hi, Im New!

• Collectives
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

They need to have set hours and enforce them. They also need to use the tax money to help the city and state get out of this financial turmoil that we are currently in. This will help our senior services, college students not having to pay outrageous tuition's  and schools to have permanent teachers, not substitutes every month!
I Volunteer for Green Cure

#12 notrealname

notrealname

Do it in the dirt!

• Patients
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostPurple Elephant Collective, on 20 February 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

There is no state law on that subject. Only state buffer is 600 ft. from schools.

SB 420
( B ) In or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, recreation center, or youth center, unless the medical use occurs within a residence.

http://www.chrisconr...420-03.htm#text

With that, I still don't see a state law on a buffer between collectives. I know the thread is getting old, but if anyone else sees this I don't want taking that their isn't any state buffers.

Edited by notrealname, 29 May 2012 - 05:41 PM.

"All my helmet graphics are installed by rocks."

guest / banned