- - - - -

Most potent...oil made from keif--too bad most MMJ patients won't experience it...$$$

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 eclipse

eclipse

Now, if 6 turned up to be 9, I don't mind, I don't mind.

• Patients
  • 1,098 posts
  • State:CA
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Advertisement:
If you ever have the opportunity of trying oil made from keif, do so! It will probably be the most potent dosage of cannabis you will ever experience!:thumb:

Advantages of being a guinea pig...I recently had an opportunity to test/sample some oil that was processed from keif--no flower, no bud, no shake, just 100% pure keif...and it was the most smoothest, most potent smoke my lips ever touched. :bowl:

I was told that it took 10 grams of keif to produce 4 grams of oil--and there is the economic problem, who would pay $100 gram for oil? (10g of keif @ $35/g = $350...divided by 4 grams equals $88/g...plus the cost/time to process oil equates to about $100/g).

Too bad the cost to produce this product is too expensive...otherwise, we would see oil derived from keif at every collective. You would think the THC% should be off the chart--probably close to 80% or more.:faint:
Got a stack of $1,000 bills 4.3 inches high? then you are a MILLIONAIRE.

...if that stack is 68 miles high, then you are a TRILLIONAIRE!
...now, how high is 15 TRILLION?

Thousand: 3 zeros
Million: 6 zeros
Billion: 9 zeros
Trillion: 12 zeros
Quadrillion: 15 zeros
Quintillion: 18 zeros

#2 TastyBuds

TastyBuds

Bong Whisperer

• Patients
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

process bubbble hash with the bho method and get back to me

#3 kennabis

kennabis

*son of the sun*

• Patients
  • 4,726 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

process keif with whole grain alcohol, and keep it food grade! if you can call moonshine food :doh:

i guess if i was a toothless, batshit crazy hillbillie, perhaps it would be food?!?

hhhmmm, moonshine or butane?!?

what will you put in your piehole?!?

:hungry:
"blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly..."

#4 TastyBuds

TastyBuds

Bong Whisperer

• Patients
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

I have had both, some crazy backwoods grain alcohol from up north... ill take my bho hahaha

#5 eclipse

eclipse

• Patients
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

me too...what he says!

Grain/ISO seems to have more vegetative material, whereas butane that is properly rendered has little to zero (hence the color).

#6 brokeneckdog

brokeneckdog

High, I'm Aging!

• Patients
  • 232 posts
  • Collective or Dispensary:Yes

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

I really, really like pie! :der:

But, really, I like to keep it simple and stop at the bubble bag melt. Cold water extracted. But would love to sample that keif oil.

#7 TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

good method if your keif is contaminated or of a lower quality...however

If's its real melty keif then leave it as is, maybe press it...there is really nothing better imho

#8 eclipse

eclipse

• Patients
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Potency math...if the flower is 15% THC, then what % would the keif be? 30%? 50%?

Let's assume the keif is 50/50 (trich heads/other matter including trich stalk), then that would make the keif at least 30% THC. Then if one makes oil (10g in-4g out) then that means the keif oil would be about 75% THC.

Is my math logic wrong?

#9 eclipse

eclipse

• Patients
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

cheesedeek said:

Posted Image

I disagree with your opinion that without pics this thread is worthless--we are not allowed to discuss the manufacturing process. That said, there are no pics...being a guinea pig--I was just happy to sample and consume the wee bit I was offered. After all, what can a pic of clean oil tell you?...other that it was expertly prepared.

I recall the oil being super clean and on the lighter side of amber, not dark at all, no greenish tint, no chunks, zero bubbles and it had been cured. For me, the effects were immediate and lasted for 4-5 hours; additional doses did prolong the effects as well as increase the intensity. What surprised me was the magnitude of the punch from the tiny amount (size of a pin-head) that I put on my skillet. Did not need to medicate for remainder of the day!

That little dab of keif oil was definitely the most potent cannabis dose I ever experienced...and it makes since if the THC was around 75% (assuming the above math logic is correct).:thumb:

Now, where do I find some more....:drama:

#10 critter

critter

concentrate combustor

• Patients
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

ive only ran kief once and i still have it because it came out tasting like poop.

Edited by critter, 29 May 2010 - 09:34 AM.

#11 TangoChica

TangoChica

Every Day is an Adventure!

• Patients
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

eclipse said:

Potency math...if the flower is 15% THC, then what % would the keif be? 30%? 50%?

Let's assume the keif is 50/50 (trich heads/other matter including trich stalk), then that would make the keif at least 30% THC. Then if one makes oil (10g in-4g out) then that means the keif oil would be about 75% THC.

Is my math logic wrong?

The only "wrong" part with your math is to assume one can extract all the THC or trichomes in the first attempt on extraction.  
Testing bud and trim for repeated extractions, I believe only about 50% of the potential comes off or is extracted by any method of gathering Keif.  I have found that taking the remains and making QWISO will result in a very good return.  Making a 3rd extraction from the dried material further yielded more THC.

#12 fredperry

fredperry

the wrong side of the tracks

• Patients
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

made sum this morning ak-47...pretty good

#13 Guest_cephas_*

Guest_cephas_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

been messing with a way to make oil from keif...without BHO or alcohol...no water even, just chemical reaction using a secret blend of 11 herbs and spices (not really), haven't got it 100% yet...sometimes it is amazing, sometimes ehh...it's all in the sift, can't have plant matter.

#14 Yibs

Yibs

Yibs!

• Patients
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Sounds interesting. Pics would be nice if you can.

#15 cheesedeek

cheesedeek

Banned

• Banned
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

your right eclipse , my mistake

#16 Seanyne

Seanyne

Hashsnob

• Patients
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Kief is only 10 bucks a gram.. and thats bought individually not in bulk. ya run bho with bubble hash and get back to me.

#17 cheesedeek

cheesedeek

Banned

• Banned
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

good idea , hows the taste on bho from kief ?

#18 trojanfan

trojanfan

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

damn i want to try that!

#19 fredperry

fredperry

the wrong side of the tracks

• Patients
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

i herd qwiso on some kief turns out an alright product.. never tried it though

#20 eclipse

eclipse

• Patients
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:31 AM

cheesedeek said:

good idea , hows the taste on bho from kief ?

The taste...well, here is what I experienced.

When ripping in a bowl with a screen on a bed of ashes (dry Roor-no bubbler, no ice, no attachments), not much in the flavor department but nice lung expansion. A wee tickle (like you wanna cough) but then the slap down occurs; pressure around the eyes and forehead,  chinese-eyes, and waves of "brain disconnect".

There was no oily-greasy filmy sensation in my mouth--which I get from some oils, and practically zero harshness. What impressed me was the potency (did not need many hits), the longevity (it lasts hours), and the dose was tiny.

When I used the skillet, I tasted more flavors but they were more like high quality hash with a slight filmy sensation on my tongue--if you ever experienced that hashy taste in the tongue and roof of you mouth...then you know what I am referring to.

But I tell you what, instead of smoking--I now save my keif (my grinder has a screen keif catcher) and when I get 10g...I will have my friend turn it into oil!

So, keif oil has little taste, little smoke, lots of potency, lots of longevity with immediate effects...perfect for stealth situations. Alllloohhaa!

That said, I think if you used shitty keif ($10g) the oil probably would be shitty as well, you know--garbage in, garbage out. I would be interested to hear how this would compare to oil made with ISO; this guy seems to have perfected his BHO oil technique.

Cheers!

Edited by eclipse, 06 June 2010 - 05:35 AM.
weee typo

#21 mooniegoogoo

mooniegoogoo

Killing pain as we speak

• Patients
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:34 AM

kennabis said:

process keif with whole grain alcohol, and keep it food grade! if you can call moonshine food :doh:

i guess if i was a toothless, batshit crazy hillbillie, perhaps it would be food?!?

hhhmmm, moonshine or butane?!?

what will you put in your piehole?!?

:hungry:

Gotta go with this one for the taste, oh boy is it good, doesnt quits budder up but hardens kinda like shatter.
BHO it and it budders super quick.
I'm on vacation. leave a message after the beep...........................beep

#22 Seanyne

Seanyne

Hashsnob

• Patients
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

10 dollar kief is good kief. I dunno who u know or go through.. can get bubble hash for 10-15 bucks and that makes way better oil than running kief. what your talking about is done everywhere and many many mmj patients experience it on a daily basis.:confused:

#23 Seanyne

Seanyne

Hashsnob

• Patients
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

oh and btw as for the thc%'s your talkin about.. chemistry.. dunno if u ever took that class, but.. doing chemical extractions the end results are all gonna be the same if done properly. you can make oil in the 90% thc range with dry trim just as easily as kief. Your only differences are gonna be taste, smell, color, texture, and yield. you get more oil out of an ounce of flowers than you do an ounce of trim. concentrated thc is concentrated thc.

#24 eclipse

eclipse

• Patients
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

Seanyne said:

oh and btw as for the thc%'s your talkin about.. chemistry.. dunno if u ever took that class, but.. doing chemical extractions the end results are all gonna be the same if done properly. you can make oil in the 90% thc range with dry trim just as easily as kief. Your only differences are gonna be taste, smell, color, texture, and yield. you get more oil out of an ounce of flowers than you do an ounce of trim. concentrated thc is concentrated thc.

I think we are all kicking the same can but not seeing the same thing.

Percentages of THC/CBG/CBN are ratios comparing something to a given volume or weight. Most peeps will agree that converting keif from flowers does not create more THC/CBG/CBN...but by reducing the vegetative material weight/volume (from 10g of flower to 1g of keif) the percent or ratio of THC/CBG/CBN in the final product does increase. A real world example is ISO and how manufacturers cut the alcohol with water to obtain specific proof or percentages. And the reverse is true--removing water will increase the remaining alcohol percentage.

And we have stoner logic: Flower is more potent than leaf--keif is more potent than flower--hash is more potent than keif--oil (from leaf/flower) is more potent that hash--oil from concentrate (keif/hash) is more potent than oil from leaf/flower.

Now...I just wonder what would the THC % be for oil made from keif would be if the original flower was 20% THC? 80-90% is my guess.:bowl:

BTW...potency of "trim-oil" vs "flower-oil" vs "hash-oil" vs "keif-oil" are not the same--I agree about color, texture, quality, yield, taste...but not regarding potency. Developed trichomes are not abundant on trim leaves and for THC/CBG/CBN potency, you gotta have quality of trichs like those found on flowers and surrounding leaves (shake)--not the kind found on fan leaves (trim). If all derived from the same plant and everything else equal..."trim oil" will have the least % of THC/CBG/CBN--and "keif-oil" will have the highest concentration. At least these are my first-hand observations.

Love these intellectual discussions--especially after my morning dose of Late-Harvest Chocolope. :thumb:

#25 Seanyne

Seanyne

Hashsnob

• Patients
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

I dunno, I def dont use fan leaves as "trim" tho. My trim is all close bud small crystally leaf and close bud shavings. I think ur right with dry sift and water extractions harsh solvents. But bho.. extracting that way your not taking anything but thc and cannabanoids, I never notice potency varying from trim to flower runs, only that pungent dank taste and smell and the yield of course.

guest / banned