* * * * * 1 votes

Differences between Wax and Budder

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: My favorite concentrate is (117 member(s) have cast votes)

My favorite concentrate is

1. Budder (46 votes [41.07%])

Percentage of vote: 41.07%

2. Sexy Oil (21 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Wax (15 votes [13.39%])

Percentage of vote: 13.39%

4. Full Melt (18 votes [16.07%])

Percentage of vote: 16.07%

5. They're just not for me (4 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

6. Never tried them (8 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ladyknight

ladyknight

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,137 posts
  • State:CA
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Advertisement:
Differences between Wax and Budder
From the poster of the thread, "How do you smoke your concentrates?" comes this follow up. There's been a lot of misnaming of concentrates going on in the forums lately, so I wanted to take a chance to explain the differences between budder, wax, earwax, oil, and sexy oil.

Budder

Posted Image

Definition:

Budder is super high grade hash oil that has been "whipped" up into solid yellow chunks. It is the result of high grade source material combined with technique, the proper temperature, and good timing.

Defining Characteristics:

Budder has to be 100% stable. If it is not, even if it's really really good, it is not Budder.

History:

The word "Budder" was first used to describe whipped hash oil in Canada. It was called "BC Budder" and the guy that made it is to this day is known as The Budder King. His stuff was supposedly tested to be 98% pure THC. The term became popular last May when SCPOT opened. Although I couldn't be 100% sure at the time, I was pretty sure that what had previously been called "stable earwax" was the same thing as the BC Budder. There is still some debate though as to whether Budder King does something different to his stuff, but it's pretty close. I decided to call it Budder though in order to differentiate it from the common earwax that had become prevalent in clubs. Now, unfortunately, some clubs are using the term to bring in patients and serving up wax.

Budder is not however a paste, it is not even a tiny bit sticky. Period. And, if your co-op doesn't know the difference between the two things I have serious doubts that they're doing their due diligence in checking for concentrate purity.

Earwax or Wax

Posted Image

Definition:

Wax is what happens when you try to make Budder and fail. Either the maker's technique isn't solid and they mess up or the source trim used to make it is mediocore. If it's technique the final product can be super tastey but super unstable. If it's the source material then what you get will be strong and clean but won't have much flavor.

The consistency is like paste or peanut butter or play dough. It can be creamy or it can actually feel like candle wax.

History:

Earwax has been around a long time, but was originally made popular by the "Third Eye Wax," a sativa based concentrate available widely in the valley a few years ago, and most famously "Buddha's Earwax." Before the advent of the Vapor Swing/Skillet it was a speciality item that not all that many people were into because it was so hard to use. Thanks to the swing and the huge demand for potent concentrates wax is now a common thing

Hash Oil

Posted Image

Definition:

The result of a resin separation process that is sticky and black. It's usually indicative of very old or low quality source material, but it can also be the result of too much heat and a novice hash maker.

Essentially it's black like motor oil and ranges from thick to runny. It almost without fail tastes crappy, but if it's black at least you know it's been purged well even if it is "too well."

History:

It's been around since the dawn of man.

Sexy Oil, Shatter, Erl

Posted Image

Definition:

The only thing that is even debatably better is the rare sugar crystal full melt dry sieve hash. See through hash oil that is stable to the touch and tastes like heaven. It is made from the best final cut close trim and by experienced makers.

You can touch it with your fingers, flip it like a coin, it has more flavor than most budders, with the slightest warmth it becomes just sticky enough to stick to a tool conveniently for a hit.

History:

This stuff is all the rage in Canada and thanks to the Internet certain people found out about how to make it down here. This is the highest form of concentrate period. The online community calls it "Erl," and Dave Warden was the first to call it "sexy oil" here in So Cal.

I hope this was helpful to everyone and will encourage co-ops to name their concentrates correctly.

Questions, Concerns? Contact the Help Desk!

:glitterleaf:Coupons for Weed-More Savings! :glitterleaf:

#2 critter

critter

concentrate combustor

• Patients
  • 692 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

I picked sexy.but I would have picked stable if it was on there because not all stable oil is sexy just the stable oil from scpot.

#3 askhap

askhap

WT Regular

• Collectives
  • 402 posts
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:Yes
  • Collective or Dispensary:Yes

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

Ladyknight....Great job...

#4 stankydank420

stankydank420

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

Great thread. Now maybe all these clubs will stop calling their wax budder.
Whatís the difference between a drunk and a stoner?

A drunk drives through the stop sign... a stoner waits for it to turn green. :hippie:

#5 gar3618

gar3618

Okie

• Patients
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

thank you ladyknight for a great explanation! it really answered some questions i had!

#6 fredperry

fredperry

the wrong side of the tracks

• Patients
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

sexxxy oil is only available at one place...........all others are oils, just not sexxy oil

#7 biggd420

biggd420

WT Regular

• Collectives
  • 210 posts
  • State:CO

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

LOL... I actually wrote this thread, but because it went off on a tangent ladyknight kindly moved it over here.

#8 FromMIAtoLA

FromMIAtoLA

It's All Good

• Patients
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:03 AM

EXCELLENT POST...

Nuff said...

FromMIAtoLA

#9 ladyknight

ladyknight

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

Good Morning All,

biggd420 is the author of this thread. Don't forget to rep him :)

Thanks D:tortue-musique:

Questions, Concerns? Contact the Help Desk!

:glitterleaf:Coupons for Weed-More Savings! :glitterleaf:

#10 biggd420

biggd420

WT Regular

• Collectives
  • 210 posts
  • State:CO

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

ladyknight said:

Good Morning All,

biggd420 is the author of this thread. Don't forget to rep him :)

Thanks D:tortue-musique:

NP... I hope people find it helpful.

#11 Kstoned024

Kstoned024

Lifes a garden Grow it

• Patients
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

Budder or the infamous Sexy oil :thumb:

Edited by Kstoned024, 13 May 2010 - 09:26 AM.

Posted Image

#12 kush 420420

kush 420420

Cloud 9

• Patients
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

damn ,i gotta try sum of tht sexxxy erl......

#13 Motojunk

Motojunk

Medicate & Appreciate

• Patients
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

I prefer my homemade budder over the sexy oil so far(mainly the taste), but to be honest I'll say I've only sampled the sexy. I'll have to do a thorough comparison while I'm stuck in bed all next week after surgery :sick: :hippie:

#14 Guest_cephas_*

Guest_cephas_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

gotta be shatter or budder.

All I make is shatter anymore though, once you get used to the taste of a true extract, nothing else will do.  As far as effects, IMO sexy oil/shatter is real medicine.  Budder is right up there, and wax........needs to be worked, and, hash oil....no thanks.

Great thread D!

Really well written.

Edited by cephas, 13 May 2010 - 05:58 PM.

#15 TastyBuds

TastyBuds

Bong Whisperer

• Patients
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

cephas said:

All I make is shatter anymore

:thumb:

#16 Caligula

Caligula

Let them hate me, so long as they fear me.

• Patients
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

I'm not sure if you guys know this or not. Anything that uses a solvent for chemical extraction (Butane and so forth) is illegal. People v. Bergan 2nd Court of Appeals, Div. 1, Aug 2008. Mechanical separation (silk screen, ice bag and also non-chemical lipids; butter, cooking oil) are still legal for valid medical cannabis patients. Solvents made "oils" are not. Items made with a solvent, can be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for three, five, or seven years and by a fine” up to $50,000. :whistling:

http://www.weedtrack...egal-97807.html

wallawalla said:

I thought this thread needed to be brought back to everyones attention with all the controversy going on about Solvent based hashes and oils!!  Many patients do not realize that they will be charged with a felony if caught with these. Yes they are illegal to possess or to have at a dispensary or co-op!! Remember if it is made from a solvent base it is illegal!!!!!   RIP 666                     :001_unsure:

666 said:

Hash and Keif are LEGAL

Hash Oil / Honey Oil are NOT - see citations below.

Concentrated cannabis or hashish is included within the meaning of “marijuana” as that term is used in the Compassionate Use Act of 1996.~ PUBLISHED IN THE OFFICIAL REPORTS OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERALState of California BILL LOCKYER Attorney General October 21, 2003
full text: http://www.hmsllc.org/No.03_411.pdf

***BUT***

"Hash Oil" & "Honey Oil" ie anything that uses a solvent for chemical extration (Butain and so forth) is illegal. People v. Bergan 2nd Court of Appeals, Div. 1, Aug 2008. Mechanical speration (silk screen, ice bag and also non-chemical lipids; butter, cooking oil) are still legal for valiad medical cannabis patients.  Solvents made "oils" are not.  Items made with a solvent, can be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for three, five, or seven years and by a fine” up to $50,000.
full text:  http://www.hmsllc.org/bergan1.pdf

Edited by Caligula, 13 May 2010 - 07:27 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Medical661guy

Medical661guy

OG WT USER.....AROUND SINCE 04 AND STILL TRACKIN!

• Patients
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

biggd420 said:

LOL... I actually wrote this thread, but because it went off on a tangent ladyknight kindly moved it over here.

Yeah i remember being on of the 1st seeing you post the original thread.......:hippie:
:HI......MY NEW NAME IS ERRL!!! LOL...OR BUDDER/WAX/BHO FREAK-A-ZOID LOL MUCH LOVE EVERYONE:grouphug:

#18 OREL

OREL

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:28 AM

Great explanation

#19 Knockworstface

Knockworstface

Hashish and Indicas make me happy.

• Patients
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

Great thread!  Very informative.

#20 stankydank420

stankydank420

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

Very informative indeed but I wanna say that sometimes I dont let my budder get to that dry state on purpose. I like to stop before it gets like that so its more of a spreadable budder. Cant the consistancy be based on chooice as well? I see alot of people that call their softer "waxy" stuff the way I like it "budder" I figure the maker of these budders feel the same way as I do about the consistancy. Also, why does sexy oil turn into budder on its own after a few days or if in any type of heat?

Also can someone describe the difference between stable and non stable? I see so much different stuff about touching it etc. Im sure this thread will help me understand more about the things im smoking. You wont learn unless you ask right?
Whatís the difference between a drunk and a stoner?

A drunk drives through the stop sign... a stoner waits for it to turn green. :hippie:

#21 Toolong

Toolong

It's Great To Be Here!

• Patients
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

stankydank420 said:

Very informative indeed but I wanna say that sometimes I dont let my budder get to that dry state on purpose. I like to stop before it gets like that so its more of a spreadable budder. Cant the consistancy be based on chooice as well? I see alot of people that call their softer "waxy" stuff the way I like it "budder" I figure the maker of these budders feel the same way as I do about the consistancy. Also, why does sexy oil turn into budder on its own after a few days or if in any type of heat?

Also can someone describe the difference between stable and non stable? I see so much different stuff about touching it etc. Im sure this thread will help me understand more about the things im smoking. You wont learn unless you ask right?
Horses sleep in a stable and other farm animals like pigs and goats sleep in a nonstable, I hope that helps.....:whistling:
If you want a fight go to a bar

#22 sexxyfullmelt

sexxyfullmelt

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

i just love all of em !! specially the waxx <3
*meltingmami*

#23 Cannabidiol Silver

Cannabidiol Silver

Work

• Patients
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

Hell ya. I'm with sexyfullmelt, I LOVE wax, also fullmelt hash and shatter is always fun :thumb: thanks for posting this thread though, good info :hippie:
Frosty Topshelf Medicine

#24 OREL

OREL

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 790 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

stankydank420 said:

I think stable means it won't change form as easily...it holds together, it's more solid.

#25 Uncle Z

Uncle Z

Probationary WT-

• Patients
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

OREL said:

I think stable means it won't change form as easily...it holds together, it's more solid.

You are correctomento!!!

guest / banned