• Patients
  • 235 posts
  • State:CA
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

Advertisement:
(I am not sure if this post is allowed so feel free to edit if necessary)

i have read about decarbonization of your buds/trim prior to making tinctures.  I have also read so many different temps and cooking times.  Is it necessary?  Does it make a difference?  Is there any actual studies of the right ratio of time to temp?
Any information is appreciated!

#2 ps-med

ps-med

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 693 posts
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

Tinctures are basically just an extraction using alcohol as a solvent.  Heat is not necessary (and probably not desired since some components can break down with heat).  Just do a Google search on making tincture.  Better dry ingredients make for a better tincture.

#3 stanley

stanley

Medicated since 1968

• Patients
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

yes, decarboxylation will increase the apparent potency of your meds.

if you heat your materials for about 20-30 minutes at a temp around the boiling point of water you will accomplish a fairly effective decarboxylation, converting the THCA to the bio-available THC.... there is no need to go above about 225 degrees Fahrenheit... this is easily done as you thoroughly dry your materials prior to making your tincture.

This same step is accomplished when you bake your brownies or cookies.... or vape or smoke your meds.... it is only required for meds you do not heat prior to ingestion.
Get involved in your community, volunteer some of your time!

We need the help!
:grouphug:

guest / banned