#26 X Runner

X Runner

WT Irregular

• Patients
  • 399 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

purple_kush said:

The caterpillars I had are surely butterfly caterpillars, not moth.

They are night critters definitely. I've seen them fluttering around the buds at night. Butterflies are day creatures and rarely buzzed the plants. That mesh idea sounds great. No spraying? It gets my vote.

#27 GrandaddyPurple

GrandaddyPurple

Dustin Bowls'

• Patients
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Well solved a mystery of mine with this thread, didn't know what the small black balls scattered across a bud, and some leaf. They were caterpillar DROPPINGS ! damn things. Anyways the droppings were only on one small bud, but I am wondering if he made a home somewhere I cannot seem to find? I will probably find out when its time to chop. Last year while cleaning up the buds a caterpillar popped out of a bud and kinda freaked me out... pretty sure I'll be less freaked out if I see another.

I do not like them making homes in my chosen plants, will have to give some of these sprays a shot. Thanks all, much love.

#28 proud420

proud420

Drum & Bass Junkie

• Patients
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

Oxfarm said:

Sounds like a good idea, but I'd be worried about trading my catepiller problem for a powdery mildew problem. Does the mesh cloth create a humid space?

not at all.  Complete cover 100% air pass and cuts down on direct sunlight.
Posted Image

#29 dakushking626

dakushking626

WT KUSH SMOKER

• Patients
  • 314 posts
  • State:ca

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

GrandaddyPurple said:

Well solved a mystery of mine with this thread, didn't know what the small black balls scattered across a bud, and some leaf. They were caterpillar DROPPINGS ! damn things. Anyways the droppings were only on one small bud, but I am wondering if he made a home somewhere I cannot seem to find? I will probably find out when its time to chop. Last year while cleaning up the buds a caterpillar popped out of a bud and kinda freaked me out... pretty sure I'll be less freaked out if I see another.

I do not like them making homes in my chosen plants, will have to give some of these sprays a shot. Thanks all, much love.

:whistling: might want to find that f*cker, asap!

#30 dakushking626

dakushking626

WT KUSH SMOKER

• Patients
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:22 AM

purple_kush said:

Caterpillar eggs don't come from nowhere on young plants, the caterpillars need to crawl onto the plant somehow. Usually they would crawl up the pot, along the soil and then up the main stem from what I seen at least. .

lol :doh:

#31 miah

miah

weedtracker norcal

• Non-Modding Staff
  • 879 posts
  • State:Ca
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

forty four said:

same problem for me green caterpillars on my 7 week flowering babies sadly they prefer my bubba/larry og plants there tastes are similar to my own i guess. i sprayed spinosad today well see how that works. im really worried about bud rot caused by the injuries the moths caused fyi some one said use diotamacious earth on the soil that will only work for insects on or in the soil the soil the caterpillars come from eggs laid by moths or butterflies. which land lay an egg on foliage and go about there business. last grow thrips now caterpillars what next aggravating.

Those little green worms are moth worms.

Definately strains.  One reason Northern California loves the AFgoo, and the Pineapple outside.   The little green worms won't touch 'em!  Kinda sucks,  once you're into flowering that long the best thing to do is to look for them and don't use sprays, or you'll be tasting it in the end.

-miah

#32 Guest_happyjack_*

Guest_happyjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

miah said:

Those little green worms are moth worms.

Definately strains.  One reason Northern California loves the AFgoo, and the Pineapple outside.   The little green worms won't touch 'em!  Kinda sucks,  once you're into flowering that long the best thing to do is to look for them and don't use sprays, or you'll be tasting it in the end.

-miah

They love geraniums, too.  :mad:

:holloween:

#33 SoaringSativa

SoaringSativa

Above the clouds

• Patients
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

xXsSeeD_215_LeSsXx said:

no humidity is produced whatsoever

any chance you can bless us with some pictures?  as i've thought about doing this, but it would make it near impossible for me to water everything.
“Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?”

-Bill Hicks.

#34 kgbud1

kgbud1

WT Advanced Member

• Patients
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

HB Dave said:

I encountered these little boogers yesterday.

I went to another online source I trust and found the answer to the by "Safer", product is "Caterpillar Killer" (I know, unique).  It is bacillus thuringiensis (BT) based item, buy liquid, "DO NOT USE POWDER" form is what I was told by a dozen well experienced MMJ growers.

I am 3 weeks into flowering, so only have another week to knock em down.

Found one yesterday, inspected for hours on the other 3 flowering plants, found none. Treated all 4 at sundown last night, foliar spray (mixed at 1/2 strength). Inspected this morning with a closer eye, found one more, same plant, killed it.

In 4 days, I will re-dose them, then after that, it's a hand job on the little buggers.

I will say, they are hard to spot!

Here is a pic or two so you can see where in flowering I am.

This year I used the Caterpillar Killer by safer too plus a few other things to prevent the moths from laying eggs. I install a time mister spray that goes off every 15 min. Also moth traps. It worked for me. Here is a pic of my setup.
The caterpillars that were on plants died plus moths stayed away.

0921090840.jpg

Kgbud1:hippie:
A quote from Marc Emery:

Plant the Seeds Of Freedom
Over Grow the Government

:hippie:

Free Marc Emery
http://www.cannabisc...icles/4639.html

#35 xXsSeeD_215_LeSsXx

xXsSeeD_215_LeSsXx

chief kief

• Collectives
  • 379 posts
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:Yes
  • Collective or Dispensary:Yes

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:36 AM

SoaringSativa said:

any chance you can bless us with some pictures?  as i've thought about doing this, but it would make it near impossible for me to water everything.

check out my thread it has pics and everything:thumb:

http://www.weedtrack...ad.php?t=151672

peace, AJ

#36 THC_TLC

THC_TLC

Thankful for Legal Cannabis

• Patients
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:58 AM

Caterpillars have destroyed more of my medicine than all other insects, diseases, and environmental problems put together.  I have tried all of the natural insecticides and other organic methods but I am not willing to use the harder stuff.  (I would much rather end up with a smaller amount of uncontaminated medicine than to add foul-tasting poison to my meds.)  

I spend a lot of time each morning and evening inspecting the leaves and squishing all of the newly laid eggs (I find some EVERY time I look).  

After the caterpillars have hatched, and are munching along through the interior of those beautiful-looking buds, you have to look for damage (sometimes a portion of the bud cluster turns brown and dries out), then carefully open the bud cluster and follow the trail of caterpillar shit and chewed medicine till you find the son-of-a-bitch and remove it manually.  (One can derive great satisfaction in the painful destruction of these little scumbags.  Be creative!)

As with any of the canna-plagues, do not ignore the problem.  Caterpillars can destroy entire gardens very quickly.  Take immediate action and realize that when you think you have it under control, you probably don't.

I always bring my plants inside at night.  This seems to help immensely.

Two fellow patients that made mesh-cloth covers this time around seemed to have far fewer caterpillars than last year.  (I may try this next season.)

If your plants are overcome by caterpillars and it looks hopeless, it may not be a total loss.  You may still be able to recover some good concentrated meds using the icewater filtration method.  If it is really bad, you can use the hose and spray nozzle to spray off the buds before harvest.  This will remove much of the caterpillar shit, leaving most of the trichomes.  Then harvest after the plant dries out.  

I've also gotten pretty good at snatching moths out of the air when they get too close to me.

Another recommendation:  keep your yard tidy.  There are far fewer moths around when I keep up with the general weeding.  

Good Luck, Everyone!

#37 Oxfarm

Oxfarm

WT Regular

• Patients
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but I sprayed my plants today with spinosad (Green Light brand). They range from 4 weeks to 7 weeks into flowering. I hated to do it, but I was overrun by caterpillars. They were turning my glorious buds into swiss cheese.

This is my first time spraying spinosad. Is there anything I should do preharvest to remove any residue?

#38 bushka

bushka

Cannabis !

• Patients
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

I stick to OMRI products or organic products. If it comes to using light chemicals I flush and gently spray them down with water before harvesting shake off all excess water & fan or sun dry moisture. When harvested flowers are dry water cure. It's a tedious process but gives you peace of mind. spinosad should be safe its organic bacteria

Edited by bushka, 30 September 2009 - 06:17 PM.

#39 dankstar

dankstar

DANKSTAR

• Patients
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:32 AM

The answer to this bullshit is spread moth balls around your garden!Its a fu@kin moth that breeds here in southern california.I know this cause i been through this before with my grows in the past!I hope that this helps someone out.

#40 1956

greengeezer

• Patients
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

dankstar said:

The answer to this bullshit is spread moth balls around your garden!Its a fu@kin moth that breeds here in southern california.I know this cause i been through this before with my grows in the past!I hope that this helps someone out.

I haven't had the moth problem yet.  So just in case.  Where do you get moth balls, how many and how close to my girls.

#41 socaljoe

socaljoe

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

GrandaddyPurple said:

if there is one, there are probably a hundred.  if not a hundred, multiples of dozens.  this year im spraying w/ neem oil ever week or so as a preventative measure.  and yes, those things DO freak you out when you're trimming!

#42 CaliGrower

CaliGrower

Hi, Im High

• Patients
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

Are these little buggers the same as silk worms that hang down from the trees and get stuck to your face? I have these all over the place and they look very similar to the pic HB Dave posted.

#43 socaljoe

socaljoe

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

i don't think so.  they are from moths, i believe.  and it really sucks.  my first time outdoors i didn't think it was a big deal, but then realized the scope of bud rot those little bastards caused.

#44 CaliGrower

CaliGrower

Hi, Im High

• Patients
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

mine have been outside for only a week nowhere near flowering. Should i be checking for them still?

#45 grease

grease

High, my pain is alleviated :)

• Patients
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

All great info. Thanks everyone. I have been dealing with these green horn worms for the last two years with my tomoatoes and I have been trying to grow organic and that left me to picking them off when i saw them, by then they have done some damage. I am doing my first outdoor grow right now and it is good to have some preventative organic info to combat these little bastards. If I had an ounce for every worm i pulled off my tomatoes then I would never need to grow for myself again.

#46 socaljoe

socaljoe

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

CaliGrower said:

mine have been outside for only a week nowhere near flowering. Should i be checking for them still?

yes.  well, not really checking them, but you should be using a preventative measure such as neem oil every three to four weeks.  

neem oil is considered organic too, i believe.  its just an oil from a tree.

#47 Fortune Wellness

Fortune Wellness

Hi, Im New!

• Collectives
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

This works well

Attached Thumbnails

• 250px-Cat_D6H_Operators_Compartment_Showing_Standard_Controls.jpg

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson

I volunteer for Fortune Wellness Center

#48 CaliGrower

CaliGrower

Hi, Im High

• Patients
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

Right on thanks joe. I figured neem oil was the best and most popular.

#49 chuck dent

chuck dent

Hi, Im New!

• Patients
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

2/3's or more of the larva are the results of moth eggs

preventive maintenance is the key for them

once your in total flowering all you can count on are your fingers and eyes

there are many organic and non organic pesticides that will work
and break  safely down 100% in weeks

pesticides made for fruit are maybe your target item

products that are effective for tomato and or soft fruit

peach's etc.

will work just  super

read directions to make sure you give whatever you use time to breakdown
and it is all good

remember organic doesn't mean non toxic

editing to add these products

they do work 100%

but the downside is described  

Insecticides were developed as an easy way to control pests. They have an immediate dramatic effect, but the long-range damage that they do to the entire ecological system is sometimes overlooked. The chlorinated hydrocarbons, such as DDT, DDC, Aldrin, Kelthane, and Dieldrin, were the most dangerous commercial insecticides. They affect warm-blooded animals and are no longer available. (In no case should any of these by used.)

Diazinon, Sevin, and Malathion are three insecticides which are often soil in nurseries to protect vegetable crops. They are considered safe for warm-blooded animals and have a limited residual effect, since they break down in a few days. But these insecticides are not too selective and may kill beneficials as well as pests. Sevin is the most toxic and kills the widest range of insects, including bees.

These chemicals come as sprays, powders, and baits, formulated for specific pests. They should be used only when an intolerable situation has developed. Plants should be harvested only after the required safety period has passed since application. This period is from two to 35 days, and is specifically listed on all insecticides that can be safely used. Insecticides should be used and handled carefully, following instructions, wearing protective clothing, with no children or pets around. It is advisable to use a mask when applying dusts and to work upwind.

Edited by chuck dent, 09 July 2010 - 10:08 AM.

#50 mamador1r

mamador1r

WT Regular

• Vendors
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

thanks for the pics all.. it seems im gonna enjoy putting a little netting up & tossing the moth balls out back for extra measures. damn it seems this topic has been over due with all the damage they do.. little fuckers!!!!
Top Drip Grow log  grow grow grow ! ! !

guest / banned