- - - - -

Letter to Habor UCLA Renal Transplant Dept.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spings

spings

RIP Foxy 1997-2009

• Patients
  • 492 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

Advertisement:
About 2 yrs ago I was denied a kidney transplant due to tobacco use MMJ use. A week ago Harbor UCLA contacted me through my dialysis center to determine if I was still interested in a transplant. Here is the letter with my reply to them.

Habor-UCLA Medical Center
Renal Transplant Program
21840 Normandie Ave. Suite 300
Torrance, CA 90502

August 26, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I understand from my social worker at my dialysis unit, that you have been trying to contact me regarding a kidney transplant. In April 2007 Dr xxxxxx told me she would not recommend me for a transplant if I continued to smoke cigarettes and use medical marijuana to help with nausea, lack of appetite, vomiting, insomnia, weight loss, and depression. At that time I told her I was willing to give up the cigarettes, but wasn’t sure about the medical marijuana.

She, nor any other of the dozen or so doctors that I saw after my kidneys failed, offered any medical solutions to the problems I was having. In my mind it became a quality of life issue. I struggled with the above mentioned conditions for the first 14 months of my illness, before trying medical marijuana after consulting with my nephrologists. One disapproved and the other was more understanding of my situation and offered me a prescription for marinol, but advised me it was very expensive and ineffective. I find it interesting that the pharmaceutical companies are trying synthesis the active ingredients of marijuana. I just wish the medical profession was as open minded, especially considering that the AMA was the only group that opposed passing the Harris Act making marijuana illegal and a schedule 1 drug.

As for your question regarding my interest in a transplant, on the letter you faxed to my dialysis unit. Of course I would be interested in a transplant, but not if I have spend my time waiting for a transplant being miserable.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx xxxxxxx
I Love BBW's

Bourbon
Blues
Weed
and smokes

#2 Guest_BrattonBasher_*

Guest_BrattonBasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

very nice and professional letter. best to you!!!

#3 PRIDE FC FAN 1

PRIDE FC FAN 1

Professional Cannabis Photographer & Bud Tender

• Patients
  • 3,218 posts
  • State:ca
  • Patient:Yes
  • Vendor:No
  • Collective or Dispensary:No

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

spings said:

About 2 yrs ago I was denied a kidney transplant due to tobacco use MMJ use. A week ago Harbor UCLA contacted me through my dialysis center to determine if I was still interested in a transplant. Here is the letter with my reply to them.

Habor-UCLA Medical Center
Renal Transplant Program
21840 Normandie Ave. Suite 300
Torrance, CA 90502

August 26, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

I understand from my social worker at my dialysis unit, that you have been trying to contact me regarding a kidney transplant. In April 2007 Dr xxxxxx told me she would not recommend me for a transplant if I continued to smoke cigarettes and use medical marijuana to help with nausea, lack of appetite, vomiting, insomnia, weight loss, and depression. At that time I told her I was willing to give up the cigarettes, but wasn’t sure about the medical marijuana.

She, nor any other of the dozen or so doctors that I saw after my kidneys failed, offered any medical solutions to the problems I was having. In my mind it became a quality of life issue. I struggled with the above mentioned conditions for the first 14 months of my illness, before trying medical marijuana after consulting with my nephrologists. One disapproved and the other was more understanding of my situation and offered me a prescription for marinol, but advised me it was very expensive and ineffective. I find it interesting that the pharmaceutical companies are trying synthesis the active ingredients of marijuana. I just wish the medical profession was as open minded, especially considering that the AMA was the only group that opposed passing the Harris Act making marijuana illegal and a schedule 1 drug.

As for your question regarding my interest in a transplant, on the letter you faxed to my dialysis unit. Of course I would be interested in a transplant, but not if I have spend my time waiting for a transplant being miserable.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx xxxxxxx

all i have to say is wow i dont understand my dad got a kidney and a pancreas transplant 4 years ago from usc while on mmj the doctors had no problem with the mmj use they were more interested in how it was reacting with the transplant and reacting with the  anti rejection meds im not sure how it works but i would look into usc i hope it works out for you and i will be praying for you!

"He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man." --Psalms 104:14

Blacklisted Society Clothing.
Blacklist- a list of persons or organizations under suspicion, or considered untrustworthy, disloyal, etc
http://www.facebook....SocietyClothing

#4 Oldog4tz

Oldog4tz

Since Prince Albert Was in a Can

• Patients
  • 230 posts
  • State:CA

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

Pride fc fan- is it possible for you to get a little more info from your dad? For instance, he didn't get a pancreas transplant, they may have taken it out, but not replaced. But i''m very interested if there is a translant team out there that is truly aceepting of MM - This is a HUGE issue within the transplant community. More details would be welcome. And Spings - Know that you are not alone - i had a similiar expereince with my liver, and now that kidneys are going it looks like more of the same. Best of luck (cause that's what it comes down too)   -

guest / banned